1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calling all SJ.com Springsteen mafia: A new album!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Magic In The Night, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love the guy, and have lost track how many times I've seen him in concert (probably roughly 20) but it's been a long, long time since I've been excited about one of his new albums.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If it means a tour -- awesome.

I didn't think that Magic was a very strong album. One great song (Long Walk Home) and a few very good ones. Bruce records a lot and Landau usually talks him off of the ledge from over-releasing (the hip hop album, Joad II, the relationship album). I'd rather have seen him do some different stuff -- maybe a solo release or another Seeger Sessions album.

Of course, I'll still be a first day buyer.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm not as devoted a Springsteen head as some on this board, so I didn't hear about this. Is it for real? What a disaster that would be.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

After the Lucky Town recordings, he apparently experimented with hip hop style production. One of the versions of 57 Channels had a hip hop beat.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That song they played a bit of during the Sunday night game halftime last night was nothing special.

I'll admit that aside from "Radio Nowhere" nothing on Magic jumped out at me after the first few spins but I really got into stuff like "Girls In Their Summer Clothes", "Gypsy Biker", "Long Walk Home" and "Your Own Worst Enemy".

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I'll Work For Your Love is the best song off Magic. Amazing lyrical imagery. He hardly played it on the tour but I can't stop listening to it, even now. If he even has a few gems like that on the new album, I'll be happy. And yes, last night's debacle on SNF was bad but that's NBC's fault for the editing. The version he did of Working on a Dream at the Obama/Cleveland rally was really good.

8. For me, "Magic" is one of the best third-listening albums since "Music From Big Pink," which, I admit, I didn't get the first time around, except for The Weight. Then, late one snowy night, I listened closely to "We Can Talk." ("There's no need to slave/The whip is in the grave.") That was all it took.
    Same thing with "Magic." I mentioned once that "Girls" sounds like it's being sung by the narrator of "Sandy" after he's turned 50. That perception won me for the whole record.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I tought Bill from "Girls" was Wild Billy from "Spirits in the Night"

10. Mizzougrad96

Curious what the Springsteen fans on the board think... What was his last "great" album?

11. For me, "great" would be Nebraska, but I'm far from the most passionate fan hereabouts.

12. Mizzougrad96

I would have said "Born in the USA"

Any way you look at it, it's been a while for Old Brucie.

Draft saved Draft deleted