1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Call the cops or not?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by brettwatson, Jan 6, 2007.

  1. brettwatson

    brettwatson Active Member

    I get home from about a week's vacation and my yard has been farmed. Car tracks across the entire front yard. Major spinout with huge gouges. Very noticeable. Mailbox tilting from where the yahoo backed into it.

    Then I see a note on my front door. Father of the 16-year-old who did it fesses up, although he says the kid "spun out" and did not mean to drive all over my lawn. About one chance in a million this was an accident, but I play nice to him on the phone.

    They come over and prop the mailbox back up but of course can't do anything about the yard, which will look like shit for the next four months.

    Do I call the cops just to have it on the record, or let it go since the family took responsibility for their juvenile deliquent of a son? By the way, the lawn work occurred at 11:30 p.m. on New Year's Eve.
  2. three_bags_full

    three_bags_full Well-Known Member

    Nah, just ask the dad to replace the mailbox.
  3. Inky_Wretch

    Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

    And have the kid sow grass seed and repair the ruts.
  4. SoSueMe

    SoSueMe Active Member

    Ask the dad to pay for a new mailbox, and sod.

    And, if the dad is any kind of father, he'll make the kid come over and lay the sod as part of his punishment.

    EDIT: Inky, you're too fast for me!
  5. Lamar Mundane

    Lamar Mundane Member

    Don't call the cops but forcefully tell the father it would be a good life lesson for his son to pay for the consequences of his actions. Say, "I think it would show maturity if for the next month, for two hours each weekend the boy comes over to work on my yard to return it to the shape it was before the accident."

    If daddy balks, have a friend call as your lawyer indicating they won't hesitate to seek full restitution.
  6. brettwatson

    brettwatson Active Member

    The mailbox is actually okay. The work they did on it is not a concern now as it looks as good as new.

    It's the yard I'm obsessing about.

    And of course I'd like to know the real story behind what happened, which I probably never will get.

    One other factor...this isn't the first time I have had similar kind of drunk teen kind of stuff done to my house, which is actually in a very quiet suburban subdivision. Other times were less dramatic and no notes were left.
  7. Angola!

    Angola! Guest

    You should line your yard with sharp, pointy rocks. So then the next time some jackass decides to make your front yard his personal NASCAR winner's circle, the rocks will damage his tires.
    Also, I would definitely try and force the kid to come over and re-sod your lawn or spray hydro-seed or something.
  8. Bubba Fett

    Bubba Fett Active Member

    Make them pay for a new lawn and then surround it with punji sticks.
  9. ifilus

    ifilus Well-Known Member

    I would get an estimate for yard repair from a professional landscaper (or two), then present the bill to the father. If he refuses to pay, I'd take the note to the cops and proceed to prosecute. And there's always small claims court. Or Judge Judy.
  10. Moderator1

    Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

    Definitely get his ass over there working on your yard. And call and give his name and number to the good folks at M.A.D.D. They'll hassle him like it's never been done before.
  11. Unibomber

    Unibomber Member

    When Uni was 16, he was doing brake-slides on the ice with some buds and lost control and took out a mailbox.
    Uni went to the door, told the owner and replaced the mailbox as soon as ground was soft enough for him to dig a hole.
    Made the kid resod and be done with it. Calling the cops is not necessary.
  12. leo1

    leo1 Active Member

    good advice except for the last sentence. in most states, unauthorized practice of law (ie. impersonating a lawyer) is a felony. so unless your friend is actually a lawyer, don't do this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page