1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CALL FOR NOMINEES: Best HSAA prep operations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HackyMcHack, Mar 28, 2007.

1. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

The NHIAA (New Hampshire) isn't bad as far as stats for basketball tournament games, but everything else, you're on your own (except track, swimming and wrestling). For whatever reason, though, the people working tourneys are generally older and pretty insufferable ... which you could probably deduce from the NH part of NHIAA.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I never in my lifetime thought I'd say this, but Michigan.
    I ragged on em when I lived there, then moved to Alabama and realized what I missed.
    Every state event is staffed, results provided and they dont sit around patting themselves on the back watching the otherts work....

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I wish I could give them some credit. Because the people in charge really are good people; they're professional, and they have the kids' interests at heart. But the PIAA has its ups and downs as far as helping the media.

The thing is, you're only going to get the information as it gets in the hands of the fans. Like the track seeds for states; you get them when they hit the Web site. No state basketball tournament rosters unless the site takes care of it. Just too inconsistent with providing the info in a timely manner.

4. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

Thank you Marty Hickman.

5. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

Alabama's HSAA is pretty good. They always have nice stats at the state events, and are pretty helpful in dealing with media access and the like. Even writing for a small weekly and lacking fancy-looking credentials, I've never had a problem getting in or getting my camera close to the action.

That said, their website is ATROCIOUS. I'd seriously dock them from consideration just because of how useless a resource their website is.

6. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

I'd make that same complaint about the New Hampshire website. Schedules and results for that year only, and pretty much nothing else of use. And it's ugly.

7. Is he still there? :D

Besides, I always dealt with the secretary.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The NHIAA has it all over the MIAA. I haven't covered an event up there in nine years, but I always appreciated the program books with rosters for every team in every sport.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I have only worked in Kentucky, but the KHSAA has been great for the most part. It's web site (www.khsaa.org), when it comes to finding a score of a game, is useful on a nightly basis.

For tournaments and big events, the KHSAA is usually pretty timely. For softball state, it provides only linescores of games, but other than that, it's solid when it comes to providing stats/results.

10. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

If anyone suggests the MIAA (Mass.), I will cut them. Consider that your only warning.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I guarantee you nobody from New Jersey will be nominating the NJSIAA for anything above No. 50.
    The biggest bunch of anti-media assholes ever...unless you work for the one paper that happens to be one of their major event sponsors (no conflict of interest there)

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't share your total and irrational hatred for the GHSA, but they're nowhere near the top.

I will, however, concede this: Steve Figueroa, media relations director, is a first-class guy. Too often, he has to do his job and can't say shit. But he will always call you back and he will always answer your questions (again, it's often 'no comment' but he'll help you out when he can.) Get on his good side, and your job just became a whole lot easier.

Swearingen and his ilk? Let's just say, bydesign spoke for us all.

Draft saved Draft deleted