1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CALL FOR NOMINEES: Best HSAA prep operations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HackyMcHack, Mar 28, 2007.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

I know that a lot of us like to rip on state high school athletic associations and how hard it can be at times to deal with them. You know, the times where they don't provide stats, or when they make it almost impossible to cover an event. Or even when they turn into all-out clowns.

But what about the good organizations? What about the state associations that actually help us do our job?

I believe the NFL writers do something on this topic annually, and other major sport-specific journalism groups do the same thing. But, since there is no real national forum for prep writers (except for this one!) this is the best place to conduct a poll.

Post your nominees here. Then we can run a poll as to which state has the best high school athletic association in terms of media relations.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I always had good relationships with the Tennessee SSAA, but that was years ago. I'd be curious for an update.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Indiana usually does a good job.

Stats are usually complete, and given to you rather quickly. The media interviews are usually handled pretty well (pressers, but they bring in just about everyone you might want) and the work space is usually very good. The staff is very helpful, as well (especially now). They provide plenty of work space at the crappy events, like gymnastics, and the big ones, like boys basketball.

Of course, hosting the biggest boys basketball tournament in the country for 87 years tends to elicit a lot of attention :). But while they could've gotten rusty after 10 years of having declining media (and fan) interest in the tournament, they've stayed well on top of it.

Only thing is, the IHSAA only handles the State Finals in each sport. At every other level, you're on your own.

4. Stats? Are you fucking kidding me? I've never come across a high school sports association that does anything other than pat itself on the back and make covering prep sports as difficult as possible.

5. The IHSA (Illinois) provides superb stats and access during all its state events.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

The PIAA Web site has the basketball brackets for the state tourney in PDF form from 2005 back to 2001. 2006? Not so much. They can go fuck themselves.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't know about the best, but I'll nominate the Georgia HSA for the worst.

If you have ever covered preps in the Peach State, you know what I'm talking about.

The IHSAA (Ind.) does a good job in several areas. I have experience with them from the officiating side, and they handle all of that first class. Better than Georgia, that's for sure.

8. Rambler

Rambler Member

Your what hurts?

9. I don't mean to be snarky but how many people have covered enough different state prep sports to make a comparison? Isn't it usually one state and then up and out, or one state for 20 or 30 years? Do prep guys bounce from state to state as prep guys? Hey, I started out typing bowling agate. so I'm not trying to be a snob. I'm curious.

10. I'm on my third state, FWIW.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Good point, but I've heard enough state association prep horror stories on here to realize "hey, we don't have it too bad here."

The only real out-of-Indiana dealings I had was interviewing the executive director of the Illinois High School Association a few years back for a story on multiclass basketball (and if the guy had more sides out of his mouth to talk out of, I'm not sure I'd have had enough space).

12. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I'll vote for Indiana then. Stats? Sweet.
    Here in Texas, we have it okay. But things could be better. I don't so much mind having all these state championships at UT, but they could be more helpful in getting our credentials and securing parking.
    And if you have to cover tennis....in more than one classification...good luck getting to both venues in time.

Draft saved Draft deleted