1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California's cell-phone ban for drivers pays big safety dividends

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If the way you live your life puts me or anybody else in mortal danger, you're goddamn right I want a law making it harder/riskier/potentially more costly for you to do it (costly up to and including the death penalty for all I care).

I'd get a kick out of firing a 30-.06 off the back of my deck. My next door neighbors in their back yards might not be so happy about it. It's unfair that an oppressive law impedes my pursuit of happiness by making it illegal to fire off guns in residential neighborhoods.

Ten years ago I got ass-rammed at a red light by a stupid old bitch yacking on her cell phone bulldozing me in her pickup. Ended up costing me $3,000 in deductibles and down payment on a new car.

That stupid fucking bitch should get off scot-free because we don't want the law to interfere with her lifestyle, and I'm out $3,000? Fuck that shit.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Where did I say it was ok to do any of those things? We already have distracted driving laws -- enforce them!

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Why can't we trust someone not to act like a fucking moron while operating a 4,000-pound piece of machinery?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Forget "cell phone" laws, forget "texting" laws, forget "distracted driving" laws, forget "reckless driving" laws, forget "speeding" laws, etc etc etc, let's just have one omnibus "unsafe driving" law under which any police officer anywhere can pull over any driver any time he has a good faith opinion the driver is doing something unsafe, rather than targeting specific behaviors.

Wonder what the civil libertarians would think about about that one.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They would correctly think it is a terrible idea, giving police officers far too much discretion. Some of them just don't deserve that much trust. Most do, but there are a few who could do some bad things with your idea. How many is obviously a matter of opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted