1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California's cell-phone ban for drivers pays big safety dividends

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 8, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Study says traffic fatalities dropped 22 percent in first two years of ban, and fatalities where cell phones were a factor dropped 47 percent.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/05/california-cellphone-ban_n_1322726.html

I figure these numbers continue to drop as people get more used to the law and less resistant of it. Personally, I find texting to be far more dangerous than talking, but it really has cleared my mind and made me a better driver to do neither.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Punish violators the same as DUI offenders. Then we will see dividends being paid.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's not just common sense, it's just easier. I hate having to hold the cell phone on speaker v. using bluetooth.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Damn government regulations.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Your meat inspections steal my freedom!

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh, yes, I am sure that is the only variable in why fatalities from traffic accidents are dropping - especially since fatalities have been dropping for years and years even though people have used cell phones and whatnot for the past ten years than they ever have......

Yes, this study I am sure was legitimate and not skewed. ::)

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The money part of the entire article, though, is that the number of deaths from cell phone use dropped from 100 to 53 and that's where they come up with the 47 percent numbers.

So in short, in the entire state of California, with, what two or three million cars on the road every day, there were 100 drivers killed in a given year due to cell phone usage.

Yes, clearly that number merits the kind of outrage and hysteria that have brought us to a place where these laws are necessary.......

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Two or three million cars on the road every day, and there were probably only a few thousand, if that, killed by drunk drivers. Let's make that legal too.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The only "outrage and hysteria" I see is usually just from the poster with the angry green sig.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year

From 1996 through 2007, fatalities in all of the U.S. did indeed drop, but never by more than 2 or 3 percent in a year, and in some years fatalities actually increased.

Then in 2008, fatalities decreased by 11 percent, and in 2009 fatalities decreased by 9.7 percent.

2008 ... something happened that year in many states regarding a new law that was passed ... what was it about anyway?

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Good to see that the law is working.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The law about no texting is a no-brainer.

Draft saved Draft deleted