1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California Supreme Court overturns gay marriage ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I thought you were being sarcastic. I apologize.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

How do you manage to breathe or operate a motor vehicle? Seriously. If you can't tell the difference between the voice of the people in an election and the voice of the people attempting to abrogate the Constitution, you're more lost than I thought.

More likely, you just get a perveted pleasure from being a wad on a message board.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Do you really not see the difference between electing legislators and enacting laws? You can't have "tyranny" in an election, because that's the whole point. Stupid comparison. ::)

Never said that. If they want to enable a referendum, and have voters vote on it, that's fine (although it still lends itself to tyranny of the majority if you vote to deny American citizens the basic civil and legal rights that the rest of us have.)

But since when do we change all laws by referendum?

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I absolutely agree. I feel the same way about anti-smoking regulations. I

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Eat a bag of shit, Alley. Voters can vote on anything they choose....with the common sense that Baron von whateverthefuck suggest the collective wouldn't have if the issue were preventing a group of American citizens who have a different skin color from voting, or drinking from a water fountain. The very notion of comparing the plight of blacks to gays sickens me and should sicken every black man and woman in this country who still has a grip on what blacks went through.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

4,427/Fact-Free

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I see where judiciary tries regularly to overturn LEGISLATION that is voted on by LEGISLATORS, whose job it is to enact LAWS. Again, though, only if it doesn't offend a liberal judiciary.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yawn -- I really want to hear -- nobody has ever been able to give me an answer -- how two men or two women getting married has anything to do with you or with your marriage or your life?

Not a flame just a simple question

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

You can't have an honest discussion with Yawn about this--he's too blinded by his own prejudices.

10. No hope.
    None at all.
    It's like arguing with a duck about a river.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

IINM, federal courts don't have jurisdiction here since the California Supreme Court is interpreting state laws.

If it were a California court interpreting federal law, different story.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.