1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California Supreme Court overturns gay marriage ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Because the WILL of the people of California, in terms of governing their own communities, decided it was not what they wanted - well, except perhaps in the precincts of San Francisco. And the will of the people still counts for something. Except when it contradicts liberal thinking.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You can keep spinning this back to murder, a crime for which there is little to no sentencing discretion, all you want. That's not the crux of my argument.

There are, in many if not all states (I honestly don't know), sentence enhancers, acts in addition to or during a particular crime that warrant that sentence being extended beyond what would normally be given. Being a habitual offender is one. In many states, having a gun on you, even if you don't fire it, is another. Whomping the crap out of someone because he is gay should be another.

There are, in fact, sentence enhancers for murder as well, aggravating circumstances that can cause one's penalty to be upped from life to death. Raping someone is one of them. That being the case, killing someone simply for being gay should be another. (And yes, I oppose the death penalty, so I'm providing examples within the framework of something I do oppose. I hope that's OK.)

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Guess we'll allow the communities of the Deep South to (legally) resegregate their own schools, then.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

If you think a black is equal to a gay, you're wrong. Gays can and have changed. But then that draws your ire because you refuse to believe any change is possible in that regard.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

in the words of the genius: "I didn't think determination of right and wrong was based on what happens a majority of the time."

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

only through the will of loving christians.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

which may be more genuine love than they've ever had.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Since you seem to believe being gay is a choice, let me ask you this: Why the hell, knowing that there are plenty of people like you in the world, would anyone actually choose to be gay?

As far as your idiotic "gays can change" meme, a lot of people can change a lot of things. I can stop drinking if I want. Does that mean I don't have a right to be pissed off if we reinstitute Prohibition? I could stop going to church (if I went). Does that mean I don't have a right to be pissed off if we abolish religion? Does that mean we should only outlaw discrimination based on things that can't be changed, which would limit one to race and gender, at least according to your world view? Does that mean we're able to discriminate on the basis of religion now? After all, religious people can and have changed...

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i feel the same way about your barnyard animals.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

So by your logic here, being straight is also a choice, right? Cause there are a lot more people who "change" from straight to gay than there are people who "change" from being gay to straight.

When did you choose to be whatever you are sexually, yawn?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

during shearing season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.