1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California Supreme Court overturns gay marriage ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I always decry the erosion of the collective will of the people to be discarded in favor of judicial meddling.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So if the collective will of the people wants to prevent a group of American citizens who have a different skin color from voting, or drinking from a water fountain, that is O.K.?

3. The "collective will of the people"?
    Please google up the phrase "tyranny of the majority" and get back to us.

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

So let's see. The will of the people doesn't matter. OK.

So you want to give the GOP back all those congressional seats you picked up in 2006?

5. I am typting as slowly as I can.
    You. Cannot. Eliminate. People's. Rights. By. Plebiscite.
    This. Is. Not. Like. An. Election.
    On. Issues. Like. Equal. Protection. The Majority. Does. Not. Rule.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The will of the people lies with their ability to elect a representative government. But no one has the authority to override the Constitution, from which all our rights are born.

I'm incredibly thankful you don't serve in a position of authority. I'd weep if my life were in your hands.

The fact that you believe the will of the people should be able to abrogate our rights is horrifying.

7. The "collective" will of the people, aa.
    I think he's a Borg myself.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I shudder to think what laws we'd have in place and what rights we'd no longer have if the will of the people outweighed the Constitution.

It's highly unlikely we'd be able to post on a message board if that were the case.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Exactly, Yawn. That's why we have judges, instead of deciding legal issues through a text message vote or an American Idol style contest.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

The constitution has had amendments to it. Exactly what the hell in the constitution has any issue about marriage? Oh wait, we tried to add an amendment saying marriage was between a man or a woman. I guess if that became constitutional, then you'd scream for your courts to overturn it in a flagrant example of hypcrisy.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

From whom? From what?

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And a heartbeat from Day 1.

Resistance is futile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.