1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California judge rules ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not that they can't read and follow it, I don't think. It's just that it's a difficult document to apply. Lots of ambiguities.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Dear California,

What took you so damn long?

BTW, we still hold claim to first in the nation when it comes to gay marriages and caucuses.

Peace out suckas,

Iowa

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah but the two gay people who live in Iowa can't stand each other so the law hasn't helped much.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

About time.

The biggest threat to heterosexual marriage comes from heterosexuals.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know this is hard for you to understand--most things are--but referendums have no place in deciding civil rights issues.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

JR gets it exactly right.

I guess the activist judges shouldn't have ruled on Brown vs. Board of Education either...

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Zag, actually I would. I would believe that they got it wrong, but I would support the system.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Reminded me of this comic I liked: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1748

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

1. The general voting population is stupider than shit. The courts are needed to keep our dumb asses in check.

2. I think this exact same post was a letter to the editor to an Alabama newspaper after the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

The point is, it's possible--and this case definite--that 52 percent of California made an unconstitutional vote in 2008. If everything were left to general state elections, Alabama and Mississippi would still have colored water fountains.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm pleased to see that the judge used the argument of the 14th Amendment's due process equal protection clauses, both of which I've previously and frequently argued were reasons the government could not and should not prohibit same-sex marriage.

In our country's shameful civil rights history, it's been the courts where people have earned their rights to marry people of different races, where African Americans earned the right to vote without submitting to literacy tests, etc. Had we waited for public referendum for any of those, we might still be waiting.

Congress only passed the Civil Rights Act after the Supreme Court issued its decision in Brown v. Board of Education a decade earlier. It's the job of the judiciary to interpret the laws of the country to ensure that they apply evenly to all its citizens. Until every state, city and territory in the country allows two consenting adults to marry each other, there won't be liberty and justice for all.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bingo. Thanks for a great post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.