1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California Chrome goes for the Triple Crown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 7, 2014.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

After Friday's advance wagering, he's 1-to-2 in the Belmont Stakes.

Next to the Breeders' Cup, this is probably the best racing card of the year; a handicapper's delight. A week ago the New York Racing Association thought they might have so many people show up at the track that it considered no walk-up general admission on race day; I haven't seen anything more of that plan, so I suspect it'll be like golf's British Open — y'all are welcome on what is supposed to be a gorgeous weather day on Long Island.

I have no idea what the people are thinking about when they say a Triple Crown will be good for horse racing. I don't see more people opening an online account or showing up at Penn National next week just because CC wins today.

Personally, I'm rooting and betting against the favorite. I'm playing a trifecta box of Ride On Curlin, Tonalist, Wicked Strong and Commanding Curve.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not sure what I am betting today but I will definitely be going against the chalk. That extra quarter might be his undoing.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep, gotten my hopes up and been left at the altar before on the Triple Crown hype. 12 times since 1978 a horse won the Derby and Preakness, only to come up short in the Belmont. I'd definitely bet the field.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Let's Go Chrome!

But you gotta love a horse named Matuszak.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

About ready to go. Remember two numbers :

1) 2:24.0

2) 1 second = 6 lengths

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And they're off.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ah shit. Looked like Chrome was holding back and steady through most of the race, figured he'd have a hell of a kick at the end.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Off to the glue factory!

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Did taking him for a run this morning just backfire, or is that normal?

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Awesome WWE-style promo from one of the California Chrome owners, even the guy's old lady was trying to get him to shut up! I am sure alcohol was a factor!

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Interesting take on things. Has it ever been a requirement at the Belmont that a horse has to run either the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness?

That's part of why it's so darn hard to win the Triple Crown: Shorter, speed race (Preakness), middle distance (Derby) and an endurance race (Belmont). So, yeah, you pretty much gotta be a super horse to pull it off.

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I don't disagree. I just thought it was a shitty way to articulate it. Get the fuck over it and win a race

Draft saved Draft deleted