1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California -- America's first failed state?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I keep hearing that on this board. Its a mantra. I've never actually seen proof of that. Not saying its not true, I just haven't seen facts.

I pay $3,500 a year in property taxes for a completely average suburban 2,000 sq ft. house in LA county. Is that "too low"? I have no idea.

2. poindexter

California property taxes don't look "too low" according to here.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/Advice/PropertyTaxesWhereDoesYourStateRank.aspx

10th highest out of 51.

I guess compared to the sales tax and income tax rates, its "too low".

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

According to this:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/Advice/PropertyTaxesWhereDoesYourStateRank.aspx

we're 45th in tax as a percentage of home value.

4. poindexter

Not sure where you get your information. California teachers are the highest paid in the country. Highest. Numero Uno.

http://www.aft.org/salary/2007/download/SalarySurvey-CA.pdf

However, on your behalf, I am sure our prison guards are the highest paid in the country as well, with their union in the pocket of the state legislature (just like the teacher's union).

5. poindexter

Come on dude. Joe Six Pack has to struggle to buy a 1,400 sq foot home in Torrance for $500k, then he's "undertaxed" because while he's paying $5,000 a year in property taxes, his taxes are "too low" because of the percentage of home value?

Get real. Thats a real $5,000 coming out of his pocket.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Then Joe SixPack probably can't afford to live in California.

The second-biggest problem with California is that too many people live there who can't afford to. The biggest is the referendum system.

7. poindexter

You are getting your wish - the middle-upper class is leaving in droves. Net migration out of the state of the people who actually pay the bills.

Highest state income tax rates in the country.

Highest state gas taxes in the country.

Top 10 in state business taxes.

10% sales tax.

10th in property taxes paid.

Yep, the problem is too little taxes.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I don't see any teachers living in McMansions where I live.

Just wondering Poin, what would you cut from the budget?

9. poindexter

Pensions.

Welfare.

People think its bad now, wait 'til the millions of state workers retire and are getting anywhere from 60-100% of their annual salary. For life. Medical, for life.

Our state legislatures, in bed with the public employees unions, have sold the taxpayers so far down the road, its sick.

California residents, as well as the rest of America, will one day understand that the current standard of living is unsustainable. The state will borrow, get federal bailout money, use some fancy accounting parlor tricks, and then some day, it will implode. Too many promises made to too many people, with no ability to say "no".

10. poindexter

You do know who backs up Calpers when it can't pay whats promised to the public employees, correct?

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

So, you'd cut all those pensions of people who'd already worked for them for 30 years or whatever? Wow, just like working for a newspaper, cool!

Welfare? Is there welfare anymore? Like able-bodied person, not responsible for child-care, sitting on your butt welfare?

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I thought the funniest part of the latest state budget was how the June 30th paychecks were postponed to July 1st so they are not part of fiscal year 2009-10.

It basically pushes $2 billion onto next fiscal year. Yeah, that solves the crisis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.