1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California -- America's first failed state?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is the first supermajority in both houses since 1933.

As to the rest and who got more of what they wanted, I would say that when 60-65 percent of the people in the state want a certain thing and one-third of the legislators in the state block it, that one-third is doing pretty well in getting what it wants.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I would submit that had there not been the supermajority rule in effect, California would have been much more fucked much sooner. Xan claimed that "adults" are now in charge. The same people have always been in charge. It's about time they started acting like adults instead of the spoiled children. And, again, there's still that hundreds of billions in pension shortfalls -- from when they also were in charge.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So there must have been supermajorities, and it's all their fault, right?

There were no supermajorities.

Good! If there had been, things would have been worse!

Never let the facts interfere with a good argument.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The state got royally fucked up over 40 years of one party being in charge and you guys want to blame the other party. You want to blame the GOP for Detroit, too, I suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.