1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

California -- America's first failed state?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Oct 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It is a very hard place to leave.

It is almost impossible to go back.

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Idaho.

3. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, probably New Mexico too...

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Born and raised in L.A. Still love L.A., always will. But I'll never live in Cali again.

I love the East Coast.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Utah, Nevada, Colorado. It is amazing how many people are leaving California. There is a lot coming in.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Regardless of prop 13, this state is taxed at stupid rates. Sales tax near 10% in LA county. State income tax reaches max (close to 10%) at the lowest threshold in the country (near $47k) - find another state in the country that taxes $47k earners at 9.3%. Some of the highest gas taxes in the country. An extremely unfriendly regulatory climate for business owners. Talk to a small business owner about worker's comp costs in California.

The state will reap what it sows. Net migration of middle class people this decade. Influx of low-skilled immigrants. Benefits are way too rich, even with the taxes generated. Elected officials too busy nailing lobbyists to give a crap.

7. Mizzougrad96

Both of my parents retired to different states after living in California for 40-plus years. Both are living incredibly well in big cities with homes that cost a third of what theirs in Calif. did.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wife won't swim in ocean temperature lower than 27C (82F).

Warmest water off the California coast peaks at 70F.

Guess we're staying on the Atlantic Coast.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My uncle is Canadian and was transferred to Orange County. He moved there with his wife and his kids, who were all grown, eventually followed. He had an excellent, high-paying job that allowed him to retire in Laguna Hills, where he still lives, but while his kids have decent jobs I have no idea how they live in the OC.

One of my cousins has her own catering business and her husband is a minister but their house in Mission Viejo is probably the same size as mine and costs four times as much. And my little part of the Toronto 'burbs is not cheap.

Still, Cali is my fave place to visit and I'd move to the OC or San Diego in a second if I could.

10. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Wrong. Because of prop 13, this state is taxed at stupid rates. Because of the loss of revenue through prop 13, they have to make up for it through higher taxes everywhere else. Those taxes are regressive. Joe Blow making $10/hour is taxed the same gas tax as Joe Douchebag making $350K.

Whereas a progressive property tax makes sense. If you own a beach house in Malibu, you should be paying a hell of a lot more than a guy owning a three-bedroom in Riverside. Prop 13 screws up everything else.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Measures like Prop. 13 are necessary in volatile real-estate markets to keep people from being taxed out of their homes.

If you buy a place for $150,000 in 1976, you should not be forced to sell the place in 2009 just because it has a market value of $850,000 and you cannot pay a property tax bill that is 650% higher than when you bought it.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have no problem eliminating prop 13. The home BTE is describing wouldn't be valued at $850k with more of a tax burden. It'd be less.

The state's current deficit is $20 billion (give or tax whatever accounting tricks the state uses, like changing the fiscal year by a few days to forestall expenses to the next fiscal year). You are just fooling yourself if you think that prop 13 is the root of evil, without addressing the spending the state does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.