1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calgary minor hockey's mandatory "Respect in Sports" initiative for parents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 19, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Want little Johnny, next NHL superstar, to play in Calgary's minor hockey programme?

Well, parents have to sign up for an "hour-long, online presentation that deals with respecting referees, parents living vicariously through their kidr long s and parents physically or verbally abusing opposing players or even their own"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey-dads-and-moms-told-to-chill/article1764392/

I think you could make an argument that all youth sports should follow suit.

Perry Cavanagh knows there are some minor hockey parents who can’t be saved, like the 55-year-old father with the short fuse who, when told by Hockey Calgary officials he should think about taking an anger management course, slammed his fist on a table and shouted, “I’ve taken the damn thing twice and they don’t work.”

2. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I guess there was too much fighting in the classroom setting.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

That is outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted