1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calgary minor hockey's mandatory "Respect in Sports" initiative for parents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 19, 2010.

1. JR

JR Active Member

Want little Johnny, next NHL superstar, to play in Calgary's minor hockey programme?

Well, parents have to sign up for an "hour-long, online presentation that deals with respecting referees, parents living vicariously through their kidr long s and parents physically or verbally abusing opposing players or even their own"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey-dads-and-moms-told-to-chill/article1764392/

I think you could make an argument that all youth sports should follow suit.

Perry Cavanagh knows there are some minor hockey parents who can’t be saved, like the 55-year-old father with the short fuse who, when told by Hockey Calgary officials he should think about taking an anger management course, slammed his fist on a table and shouted, “I’ve taken the damn thing twice and they don’t work.”

2. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I guess there was too much fighting in the classroom setting.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

That is outstanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted