1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Calgary: Flash Is a Tour Guide Extraordinaire!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pastor, Jun 13, 2008.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Saw some in a club on St. Catherine's St. one night and they did stuff that even shocked me.
    Went to Calgary a couple of years ago. Spent a day running around town (we were visiting Banff) and liked it. But wondered what in hell happened to all the homeless people once the weather turned wintry.

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

or the peeler palace

3. Flash

Flash Guest

They're still homeless.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

During the real cold snaps the city has done a good job of finding wafrehouse space for extra shelter. 2 years ago they used a closed furniture building and I think this past winter they used some space in an industrial park.

Too bad Flash didn't take you past "The Homeless Hilton" which is a pretty nice (at least from the outside) multi-story shelter right next to The Cecil Hotel.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

The rehab centre? We drove by it.

What you fail to mention about housing the homeless in the vacant furniture store was the weeks of protest put up by the residents of Crescent Heights, who didn't want the vagrants in their neighbourhood. City Council finally allowed the permit after a week of temperatures as low as minus-35 C, not counting the wind chill.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Hey now! I never said I went to the strip club. The high end hookers on the other hand...
    Never. Gets. Old.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I love Calgary and hate that I haven't gotten there since I stopped covering hockey. I took the whole family in 2000, when the Flames hosted the NHL draft (and when most U.S. papers still went to the draft). We had a wonderful time, between there and Banff. Great people, great terrain.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Timeless, my friend. Absolutely timeless.

Draft saved Draft deleted