1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caleb Hannan to the white courtesy phone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, May 21, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

These guys went on ABC's Shark Tank saying they reinvented the wheel, and got a deal:

Guy who "invented" it has "no degrees".

People who do call bullshit:

Physics Buzz: Reinventing the wheel?

Who's going to flush this out for me?

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

This must cause some mixed feelings for YF.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It definitely doesn't cause any feelings for Dr. V.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Cold!

5. YankeeFan

As long as no one kills themselves as a result of Caleb's reporting, he's ahead of the game.

6. YankeeFan

Gay guy outs trans guy.

Producers don't edit it out.

Is ones status as trans a deception? Advocates say no. Caleb Hannan and @typefitter say yes.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That's not even close to what I said and you know it.

For the record, and because you're a dishonest piece of work, here's what I said regarding the Dr. V. story:

If you are writing about a con artist (and I'm NOT talking about gender here... Dr. V. was a con artist with a criminal record who swindled people out of money and was no more a doctor than you are), and that con artist has committed crimes both before and after a change in gender, and you are outlining those crimes, then you probably have to explain that the person involved changed genders. Otherwise the reader will have no idea what the hell is going on.

Being trans is not a deception and the Dr. V. story had serious flaws. But I stand by the fact that if you're going to write that story, you have to explain that Dr. V. once committed crimes under this male name and also committed crimes under her new identity. She was a con artist because she was a literal con artist, not because she was trans.

You can apologize whenever you'd like.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. typefitter

To try to take this in a more positive direction, Fresh Air had the singer from Against Me, Laura Jane Grace, on recently, and it was a really fascinating look at her transition. Terry Gross used what Grace called her "dead name" at one point, because Grace was a known singer before she made her transition, and it was interesting to hear the ensuing discussion about what's okay and not okay when talking about transgender people.

One other interesting thing that Gross didn't ask about... When Grace was talking about other specific transgender people, she used the pronoun "they," which I've been told is incorrect. You're supposed to use their chosen identity (so in Grace's case, "her" or "she"). But Grace didn't. Not sure if that was a choice she's made or if even transgender people can make mistakes when talking about other transgender people.

Anyway, I thought it was a really good interview.

10. typefitter

Hey @YankeeFan, I'm still waiting for your apology.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Obligatory:

[​IMG]

12. typefitter

It's not coming, which says everything you need to know about @YankeeFan. When you're clearly in the wrong but can't apologize for it, there are deeper issues at play.

Draft saved Draft deleted