1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cal reinstates three sports, but not baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Feb 11, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That would be perfectly legal. And entirely different from what you described, as someone on 1/3 scholarship is not "essentially a walk-on," since walk-ons receive no athletic-department scholarship aid whatsoever, no money for books, and cannot even attend training table unless it is included in their self-paid university meal plan.

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

So edit what I said above from saying "little to no" scholarship money for some players to "no" scholarship money for some players. In states like Louisiana, California and Texas, where students who are academically qualified get their tuition covered by the state, I'm sure a lot of players will be asked to come for that money.

I didn't realize they couldn't offer "books" any more. But it seems to be like an expensive private school would still target a few select players with the Lions' share of the scholarship money, then fill the roster with players who are willing and able to pay their way -- whether through academic scholarships, 529 plans, etc.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I used to cover a D-II HBCU and this is spot on. Most of the real stud baseball players went to the mid-major D-I half an hour up the road (although a guy from that area, who wasn't even the best player on his team in high school, was CWS MVP a year or two ago). The next level usually wound up at said HBCU, black or white.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

By the way, possibly the most famous former HBCU baseball player? Gus Johnson. Played 1B (I believe) at Howard.

6. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Most of the big D1 programs spread their 11.7 schollies over those the 27 slots as equitably as possible and actually recruit the eight walk-ons to fill out the 35-man roster. The scholarship players must get at least 25 percent, with the big names getting 50 to 75 percent. As posted earlier, coaches do look for good students who qualify for academic money that can supplement the baseball money. States that give lottery scholarships do have an advantage in that regard. But many coaches consider the recruited walk-ons as important as many of the scholarship guys.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I would have been really surprised if Cal Rugby was dropped because I have a couple of friends in the neighborhood who are rugby grads and they've done very well professionally. And as for the comparison to football, those guys are human blocks like Mark Eaton, only about half a foot shorter.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Cal baseball gets the call from the governor

Cal reinstates baseball after $9 million was raised.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/04/09/SPPG1IT1H7.DTL

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great news. Hard to see a great campus like CAL without a D-1 baseball program, especially in light of its alumni (Kent, Brendan Morrow).

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Roll on you Bears!

Draft saved Draft deleted