1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cal reinstates three sports, but not baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Men's rugby back to varsity status, along with women's lacrosse and women's gymnastics. Baseball still on chopping block because of a lack of pledges.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6112756

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Stitch reinstates a DB.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/79895/

3. Kermit McManus

Kermit McManus New Member

I just hope they kept Soccer - very important sport keeps growing.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Eh not really. Someone starting a thread a half hour after someone resurrected a dead thread is not a db.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cal Rugby is huge. There was a pretty big uproar when there was the possibility of them losing that.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

With a headline "Cal dumping baseball"?

I'd like a ruling on this.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Proveably and demonstrably so.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Still don't understand dropping baseball, except for the Title IX numbers crunch, especially in the Pac (number goes here). So much MLB has gone through Berzerkeley. Jeff Kent and Jackie Jensen come to mind quickly.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I posted NYT link on the other thread (I'm also awaiting word on the DB/noDB ruling), but it was pretty clear that of the five sports, baseball was going to be the fifth one reinstated. Basically, that NYT story says that when a school drops a women's sport, it can no longer claim it's making progress or giving women all the opportunities available; it then has to meet a strict by-the-numbers definition of compliance, which is almost unattainable because of football. So the women's sports were all going to be saved, and baseball and men's gymnastics were only going to survive with a flood of donations.

I imagine this case will have far-reaching effects around the nation as more schools struggle with their budgets. I think Cal was caught by surprise regarding how far out of Title IX compliance it would be, even if it cut the same number of men's positions and programs as women's. The implication is, whatever you do, don't cut a women's program.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I want to start a third thread: Cal proveably and demonstrably cuts baseball

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i endorse this.

like you care.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Started to read it, but got a massive headache. Thanks for the summation, it makes sense.

Cal's not the first Pac-10 school to cut baseball. Oregon did a ways back, even converting its diamond into a softball field. But then Phil Knight though bringing back baseball was a good idea ...

Draft saved Draft deleted