1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cal fired assistant basketball coach after investigating reporter's harassment claim

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Mar 15, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not sure I read that right. But it was one thing if he knew she was having problems with Huffnagel. A much different thing if he knew that the source of the problems was him sexually harrasing her. It is possible that Martin simply knew that there was a reporter who Huffnagel had given false information to, and that she was upset. Or that she was complaining about being frozen out. But that he didn't know any of the back story.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They don't have anyone in the department with that title, but they do have an Assistant Athletic Director, Communications, who is directly responsible for the men's basketball team, Herb Benenson. Not sure how their responsibilities are divided. Interestingly, Benenson hasn't posted publicly to Facebook since since May 2015 and on Twitter since March 2014.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In most (if not all) of the text strings in the report, she was indeed asking about recruits.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not at all sure how it works at Cal or if this is common (I suspect it is), but during my very brief reign of terror at VCU we had one of those. We'd get a media request, we'd check with a specific staff member for practice times, etc.

"Hey, we have a request for Eric, what time is practice tomorrow?"
    "Four to six, he has study hall at 7:30 so set it up for 6:15."

Or: "To be determined, give me a number and I'll call them when I know."

To his credit, he always did. To his credit, he never said, "A woman?? Should I harass her?"

This is an ugly thing and I suspect it will cost Martin, too. Very curious where she worked and how they thought it was OK to sack her. I suspect they'll be paying, too.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Same here Moddy. Have always gone through the SID for interview requests unless there were exceptional circumstances. And, yes, this won't end well for Martin.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Has to be a recruiting writer.

I've seen stuff like this long enough to know. The Low man on the totem pole at most schools feeds the recruiting writers the scoop so in case there's a problem the low man takes the fall and gets fired while protecting the all-mighty head coach even though the coach is funneling the information to him. Thus, most low men are scumbags, so it only make sense he'd try to parlay his information into a BJ or some 69.

What a dirtball.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

As Doc and others have noted, on the Division I level, you NEVER deal with the SID or even the head coach when it comes to recruiting.

Every school has an assistant coach or support staff member who is the designated go-to for recruiting information, such as who is visiting on a big weekend, who has been offered a scholarship and who has committed. The head coaches want the information out there and they can't comment officially under NCAA rules, but the writers can get anonymous confirmation from that assistant coach when necessary (it's less complicated in basketball than football obviously, because you are dealing with far fewer players).

And it can get political. I know on the beat I used to work on, the Rivals and Scout guys got incredibly frustrated because there was a high-profile assistant coach who would deal only with 247. Thus, when one of his recruits committed, 247 inevitably got it before everyone else did.

8. HanSenSE

9. HanSenSE

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're fired. .... I resign!!

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

And another twist: Huffnagel hired las an assistant at Nevada.

12. HanSenSE

Draft saved Draft deleted