1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cal dumping baseball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 29, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You just set it on the tee, I swung the club. I didn't lose $97.40 by doing it, either.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In the case of women's basketball, the coach's salary went up by nearly $250K, to more than a half-million total compensation. This was just at the time Cal was hiring Mike Montgomery, and Tedford's salary was getting higher. Neither package was unreasonable for the market value, but there was a lot of internal pressure to do right by the other coaches at that time. Cal has always been a weird place -- their interim AD was I think the old crew coach and he took it as his mandate to take care of the minor sports.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The golf team shanked too many balls into the lake? Had to pay for a broken window from an errant drive?
    "Dammit, Joe, we have to pay that lady! There goes our budget!"

As for the other sports, I can definitely see where the deficit for women's basketball would've gone up dramatically in a few years. More attention on the women's game means a major conference program like Cal has to play more intersectional games. A few extra cross-country trips a year really adds up.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

27 on scholarship, all splitting 13 full scholarships. Baseball is the land of the partial scholarship. If you get a full ride in baseball, you better be the second coming of Babe Ruth.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I also believe California's Title IX compliance laws for its state university system are very precise and strict, under the settlement of a Title IX lawsuit in the 1980s.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If ever there is a school that will make sure it follows Title IX, it's Cal.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

11.7 scholarships, isn't it?

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Great post.
    My stance since the beginning (and I was in college when Title IX came into law) is that Title IX needs to be tweaked to exclude football (and maybe wrestling). Exclude football and have everything else be equal.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"The NCAA allows each division I college baseball program 11.78 scholarships"

http://www.collegesportsscholarships.com/baseball.htm

Football and men's basketball are the only fully funded men's sports. In the rest, they need to be a bit more creative in their accounting. Most male college athletes in non-revenue sports aren't exactly on easy street.

Which to me is a much more worthwhile conversation than whether athletes in revenue sports should be paid, but oh well.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Thanks for correcting me. There's also a new rule that of those 11.78 scholarships, no one can get less than one-third of a full one.
    Ironically, you end up with a lot of baseball players on academic scholarships as a way to make up the shortfall. Other sports do similar things.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sorry, been away from computer for most of two days ... I was watching this on ESPN News, which was citing the Chronicle. So I went to the paper's website.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The verdict is in. Rugby, women's lacrosse and women's gymnastics got the 11th-hour phone call from the governor. Baseball is still going to the gas chamber.

Draft saved Draft deleted