1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cal at Stanford..worth going?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, Aug 20, 2007.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

So, I just happened to look at the Stanford Cardinal football schedule and noticed that the big game is on my birthday, which I get off from work...and I'm half tempted to get 2 tickets now before they sell out and drive down south to see it.

Having never been to any Cal nor Stanford game, I don't really know what to expect.
    Stanford won what, 1 game last year against Washington?
    And Cal should be pretty good this year, especially if they happen to beat Tennessee in the opener. Unless Harbaugh and company can somehow turn around the Cardinal this year, the Cal game it's probably not going to be much of a contest, but I've been told it's THE rivalry game in the area.

So, SportsJournalists.comers...is Cal-Stanford worth paying $110 a ticket to see?

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

Strawberry Canyon is a great place to watch a football game. Haven't been to Stanford's new stadium yet. $110 for a probable blowout seems high, unless you have a vested interest. ;)

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wait until Cal loses a game, and tickets should be much more affordable.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Cal did hang with Tennessee for a good 30 seconds last year in Knoxville. I'll give 'em that.

Seriously, why would you not go to Cal-Stanford? Of course you should go.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not worth the $110 a throw, the games at Cal are usually more competitive, but the tailgating is better at Stanfurd. Everything from bloody marys and screwdrivers from the tweed set to kegs and hot dogs. Back in the day you could (legally) bring 12-packs into the stadium. Now those were the days...

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Game is at Stanford, on Dec. 1. New stadium holds about 50K, way down from the old wreck (85K). This should be a tough ticket.

Excellent tailgating areas at Stanford. Not so excellent football team.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When did college football tickets start costing so much? I just looked up prices for the Nebraska-Texas game and the cheapest I could find online were $178. Everything else was over $250.
    I remember going to big-time Washington games growing up and we never paid more than $30 for tickets.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

You should go if you can after all it is YOUR birthday. I wouldn't pay that much for a ticket though. Wait until a minute or so before kickoff and you should get tickets for cheap, especially if it sets up as a blowout game going in.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

I know nothing of the West Coast football details (tailgating, intensity of rivalry, etc), but I do know that paying $110 for a Pac-10 game that will feature a 5-TD differential is not worth it.

Since it's your birthday, you might rather stay home and get a bunch of friends over and just act like a bunch of jackasses while watching football all day.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Try this: Go down and tailgate with some friends, grill, drink, soak in the atmosphere, have a great time. If you happen to get tickets to the game, great. If not, I've heard there are bars in Palo Alto....

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Go tailgate, and you'll have no problem scrounging up a ticket. Lots of friendly people, drinking wine and eating cheese.

If you can't get a reasonably-priced ticket, head north on El Camino Real past the Stanford Shopping Center into downtown PA and go to the Oasis, on the west side of the street. Old-time, dumpy place that will have several TVs on, good bar food, great atmosphere. At least it used to.

Draft saved Draft deleted