1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caffeine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 2, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bingo.

Caffeine has mild effect on most people really. And there is really nothing supporting the fact that it is bad for you in any way. And some evidence that it is beneficial in subtle ways. I suppose if you overload on caffeine you are going to make yourself feel sick. But there are plenty of things that will do you no harm that are bad when you overdo it.

The sugar/sweetener? We are a nation that is now weened to look for quick glucose delivery systems. Our brains love it and crave it. And once you introduce that diet to your lifestyle, it can be an endless cycle. You eat edible-like substances devoid of much nutrition, but that are designed to deliver glucose to you quickly. You get a great feeling from it. And it creates cravings. Your body starts to need those glucose rushes, so you eat more and more of the crap and get fat in the process.

It's the single biggest reason why average weight of people in Western countries has increased dramatically over the last 30 years, and it accounts for the diabetes epidemic we have brought on ourselves.

You nailed it with the sugar/sweetener comment, Cran. Even if most people don't think of their morning coffee that way, it plays a role. As does the danish or bleached white flour bagel or saturated fat-laden (not necessarily bad, but it is all fatty material, yes, it is excessive)/nutritionally worthless carbs breakfast sandwich that accompanies the coffee in many instances.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's that & the caffeine. It's a delivery device.

I work with coffee roasters a lot. They love coffee and are passionate about it. They always want to kick up the coffee flavor in their espresso based drinks. They talk about how they're made in Italy (a lot less milk). And they want their customers to enjoy their drinks the way they do.

But not everyone who orders a latte loves or even likes coffee. In fact, they're trying to mask the taste with milk, and caramel syrup.

People here know how they like their drinks. If they want more coffee flavor, they know to order it with -- and pay for -- an extra shot.

If you put an additional shot of espresso in your basic recipe, you are going to raise your costs, lose revenue, and drive off customers who don't like their drinks that strong.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I weighed myself this morning for the first time in a while & I need to lose 10-12 pounds.

First thing cut was the sugar in my morning cup of coffee. I have a really sweet tooth & I crave sugar/chocolate, but when I avoid it, I can drop wight very quickly.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Caffeine wakes me up in the morning, but I could drink 20 ounces of Coke Zero right before I go to bed and it would not keep me awake at all...

Last year, I went three months without touching caffeine. After the first week, it wasn't that hard. I went back to it because it's readily available and I like the kickstart in the morning. My problem is the sugar sodas. I'd rather have a Mountain Dew than just about anything, but I know how bad that much sugar is for me.

In the new year, I'm trying to keep it to Coke Zero and Propel.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I used to drink Red Bull every morning. I've cut that out the last several months, but that's when I started chugging Diet Mountain Dew like crazy. Well, not that crazy, I guess. Two, maybe three, a day at work. Doing away with that. Trying to stick with water. I'm sure I'll fail, but it'll be amusing to see how long it lasts.

6. Try that crap that you mix with water?
    I use the Lipton Tea2Go stuff.
    I drink a LOT of iced tea a day ... No coffee or soda, but a lot of sweet (not southern sweet) lemon tea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mizzougrad96

I bought those little Propel packs that you can pour in your water. A lot cheaper than paying $1.50 for a 20 ounce drink.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've tried the stuff you mix with the water. Haven't found anything I really liked, so I'll stick to plain water. Until I decide to go back to Diet Mountain Dew and Red Bull.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I once watched a friend put *9* packets of Equal into a hazelnut flavored coffee. 9. I don't use any sweetener, so the thought of 9 packets of Equal made my teeth hurt.

10. Mizzougrad96

I don't drink coffee much, but when I do, it's usually with 4-5 packs of Splenda.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I got one of those Keuric one-cup coffee dealios for Christmas. It's really helped me cut down on coffee, believe it or not. I used to brew an entire pot in the morning and suck it down by mid-afternoon, which I know was awful for me. Now, I'm on one, maybe two 9.5 oz cups a day, max. And the coffee tastes so much better that one cup usually satisfies my craving.

I only drink diet sodas when covering night games, and I've cut it back to one can a game.

12. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Same here on the Keurig k-cup machine. I also used to make a pot and then feel like, "well, might as well drink it" and then felt crappy and jittery, etc. Now I just make one cup and then have to make the conscious decision to have a second. A lot of times I do, but at least I have to think about it first, so I'm not drinking four giant cups on autopilot.

Draft saved Draft deleted