1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caffeine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 2, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The point of quitting is at the store. If you don't buy it, you can't drink it. That's usually the key, or at least it was for me.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Cute Mormon ad running on this page.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Caffeine has no effect on me. I could drink a pot of coffee or a 6-pack of Diet Coke and go right to sleep and when I'm tired and/or dragging, no amount of caffeine wakes me up. That said, I am addicted to Diet Coke. I love the taste. I've gone a few days without it at various times and the first sip after the drought is always extra delicious.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is me. Monster Energy drinks are the only thing that keep me up. I literally go to bed with a can of Pepsi on my bedside table sometimes.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No caffeine effect on me either. I drink diet cokes (Diet Dr Pepper, Diet 7Up mostly) because I like the taste and the bubbles.

6. No judging here as I drank a ton of Coke and pop when I was a kid, but I'm amazed some people can drink 8-10 pops a day. Your dentist must love your business.

I usually drink about one or two 2-liters of Coke per week. I rarely ever drink it without meals, it's only so often I crave a Coke without food. Diet Coke, and diet pop in general, is the most disgusting crap human beings ever created.

I never drank coffee or tea until a few years ago. I can't drink coffee at work because I actually have to use my brain at work and it makes me really scattered and jittery. I just drink either Lipton's or that shit green tea work pays for, which really isn't that bad.

7. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I had kidney stones last February and had to give up colas and caffeine. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Now all I drink is decaf tea, water, fruit juice, and I've felt great ever since. I didn't lose a ton of weight like some people, but that's mostly because my weight has more to do with my portions of rich food rather than sucking down Coca-Cola, which I never did in the first place.

8. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Yup, this is me.

I don't have too many bad habits, so if caffeine is my worst vice, so be it.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looking at some dosages on this thread, I wonder why I quit trucker's speed. :)

I get maybe one (16-oz. stainless-steel gimme cup) of coffee a day and maybe a 12-oz. can of soda at work and something else headed home. I thought I was overcaffeinated.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

One double the morning, one in the mid-afternoon and I hum along nicely the whole day. I haven't had a soda (outside of the one or two root beer floats I allow myself) in 25 years.

On workout mornings (M-W-F) I'll also sip on green tea with honey. It seems to provide a nice energy boost.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Caffeine can actually help before a workout -- especially a cardiovascular one.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm also convinced some folks just drink coffee as a vehicle for three packets of sugar/sweetener.

Draft saved Draft deleted