1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caffeine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, one of my New Year's resolutions is to give up caffeine. I mostly consume it in the form of 6-10 Diet Cokes a day (at least), or the equivalent thereof.

Down to three a day right now, and hoping to cut back to two today. I was surprised to learn that Diet Coke - or any carbonated beverage - can make you look bloated and therefore fatter than you really are. Plus, all those chemicals. Plus, all that money. Plus the cans cause clutter. Plus, I hate being dependent on anything whatsoever.

I've cut back before, even to the point of completely quitting a few years ago before falling back off the wagon. But this is the year. This might even be the week, if I can be disciplined and also take some Advils every few hours to ward off withdrawal.

Anyone ever given up caffeine and/or soda?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm with you on hating to be dependent on anything.

I used to drink coffee only on rare occasions -- like at Sunday brunch and not for the caffeine kick. I used to mock folks who needed a cup of coffee to get their day started.

But now, I drink it daily and do find myself sluggish if I don't. I could see it being hard to give up.

3. Don't worry, I'm not really this fat. I just had a soda, so it's an optical illusion. [/my visit to the doctor]

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's not that soda makes you look bloated. It's that you retain all that nastiness, and the sugar turns straight to fat. I quit soda (I was drinking 8-10 Pepsis a day) and lost 30 pounds without changing ANYTHING ELSE about my routine. I still ate fast food, still didn't exercise, and lost 30 pounds.

Soda is no joke. Good luck, Mr. Whitman!

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

They can take my coffee cup when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

That being said, best of luck to you, Dick, in your quest to give up diet pop and caffeine.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He was talking about diet soda. No sugar. No calories.

But its been proven that they raise blood insulin levels by tricking some metabolic mechanisms into thinking you've delivered glucose, or sugar, to your body. The increase in blood insulin, in turn, makes people's body crave more glucose, which in turn pretty much ensures that they eat more to feed their systems the glucose they are craving.

It's why so many studies of diet soda drinkers have shown that something like 65 or 75 percent of them put on weight and are disproportionately obese.

Plus, it violates the "eat food" mantra (the stuff people ate for millions of years). Diet soda is a bad example of an edible-like substance. It isn't food. And those edible-like substances the "food science" industry has given us are a major reason why people have gotten fatter recently and face the health-related problems that come with that.

7. sostartled

sostartled Member

I drink sugar-free Red Bulls for my pick-me-up. Usually with lunch to get through the afternoon. Everyone I know hates the taste but I love the damn things.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I drink a couple a week and actually like Red Bull fine.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've had some bad acid reflux problems lately so I'm trying to give it up. I didn't have any yesterday. I have a headache, but I'm sure I'll get used to doing without eventually.
    In the meantime, it seems like food is getting stuck in my throat/chest. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sounds like it could actually be a gall bladder issue. Might want to get that checked out, to rule it out if nothing else.

11. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Got addicted to coffee a few years ago, and I've given up soda several times, and it wasn't that hard (I actually like tap water). A New Year's resolution is to drink soda only when I'm hungover. Another one is to not be hungover as much.

"Pop", Rosie? I love it. Where I grew up, everyone says pop; I live a mere three hours from there, and everyone here says soda.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm trying to cut out Cokes. I'm too realistic to think I can do it completely, but I'm trying to keep it to one a week. I had made my way up to one a day and gained a lot of weight back.

I drink a lot of tea, but it's decaf and I'm not so sure it's doing the trick.

My mom drinks 2-4 diet Cokes a day and eats the salt and vinegar chips like a refugee. She has horrid acid reflux and breath worse than my dog's. She refuses to acknowledge there might be a connection.

Draft saved Draft deleted