1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caddie (caddy?) salary question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 16, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know I can google this but given there are quite a few golf writers on sj. I thought I'd post my question here.

How much do caddies make? I've been told there's a salary of around $1,000 per week plus a percentage (5%?) of the purse.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I think it depends on the golfer ... They tend to get a weekly allowance plus a percentage of the player's winnings. Abd that percentage can vary, too. Some get more if it's a win or a top ten finish or a major tournament.

There was a book a few years back called Bud, Sweat and Tees. Good look at a caddie's life.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Isn't that Rich Beem's book?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that's the Beem book. The caddie, Steve Duplantis, was hit by a taxi and died a couple years ago.

And yeah, most caddies have an allowance plus percentage. Some might get up to 10 percent for a win.

5. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

It depends. Do you carry stereos?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I know caddies have to pay fifty cents for Cokes. But that's only because Lou's been losing at the track.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Also, on your death bed you will receive eternal consciousness.

So you've got that going for you.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Traditionally, it's 10 percent for a victory, 7 percent for 2-10, 5 percent for 10 and down. Nothing for a missed cut. Some players pay their guys $500-$1,000 per week flat rate for expenses. More and more guys are using close friends/brothers and travel with them. Some of the big guns, such as Tiger, pay their guy a flat annual fee. Rumor is that Steve Williams gets $1.5 mill a year, and travels with Tiger, sometimes stays on the boat with him. Many players guard what they pay their caddies very closely. They don't want to the loopers organizing.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks for that but what does that sentence that I bolded mean?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

"Looper" is slang for caddy. They don't want their caddies to form a union.

11. KP

KP Active Member

Or simply jump to a different bag.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted