1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cabrini-Green could be replaced by a Target

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No, they didn't. The Robert Taylor Homes are all knocked down, and Bridgeport and Bronzeville have become pricey addresses. It's no coincidence that a Metra (suburban train line station) didn't open at 35th/Sox Park until AFTER all those changes have occurred (the stop opens Sunday).

Some did get vouchers for low-rise housing within the city limits, but a lot of them moved to Section 8 apartments and cheaper housing outside the city, which is part of the reason why Chicago's black population fell by 200,000 between the 2000 and 2010 Censuses.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A bunch of the news reports about the final resident talked about how she was relocated to the South side. I assumed that was representative of what happened to other former residents. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

3. YankeeFan

I know what you mean, and I don't disagree with you, but the neighborhood has several night clubs.

This place is a couple of doors north of VIP's:

[​IMG]

It used to be Crowbar and is now called something else.

So, VIP's sort of fits in now.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. YankeeFan

Last building starts coming down today.

The second to last one took a while, so I'll be surprised if this one only takes a week:

And, whether it's a Target or not, I hope they redevelop the site in the near future. The former YMCA site is still sitting empty as its redevelopment plan has ben delayed. It now looks like an urban jungle. I'd hate to see this sit empty as well.

5. No shit, and people here joke about it.

6. YankeeFan

Evictions ordered at the Frances Cabrini Rowhouses:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-cabrini-green-rowhouses-20120216,0,1550081,full.story

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"Heaven is a Playground."

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted