1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cabrini-Green could be replaced by a Target

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The strip club should be called Whole Boobs

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If ever a vacant lot screamed for a Venture, this is it.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I used to live on University Place a couple of blocks north of Washington Square Park. It's one of the most beautiful and peaceful places in the city.

But, it used to be a pig stye. Walking through the park, someone would mumble "smoke, smoke" to you every couple of steps. The drug dealing was incredibly wide open.

Cops would be steps away, but beat cops weren't allowed to make street drub busts, only narcotics could do that.

It used to just infuriate me to walk through there. It's 100 times better now.

Haven't been to CBGB since I saw the Tom Tom Club do an anniversary show there about 20 years ago. And, from what I here, even Ludlow Street has been gentrified.

Oh well. There's always going to be a rough part of town if you're looking for it.

4. YankeeFan

Check out the logo on the building:

[​IMG]

When Whole Foods opened, VIP's decided to pursue a lower profile. The girl in the sign has been removed, leaving just the "vip's".

If you didn't know what it was, you still don't.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Granted, I was born and raised in a town of 1,500 that had more cows and fields than anything, but I'm just amazed at how people in the 1950s thought high-rise apartments were the wave of the future (cities in the sky, I've heard them called). I just can't imagine living in one of these places. My only exposure to them was by watching Good Times, the Jeffersons or One Day at a Time.

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

So the folks who used to live in Cabrini-Green and the surrounding areas, where did they go?

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

There is no comparison between Cabrini-Green and old Times Square, unless Cabrini-Green had a Howard Johnson's.

8. YankeeFan

They were relocated to different housing projects on the South & West sides I believe. Lot of 'em ended up down near U.S. Cellular Field.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not just the 1950s. They are still being built in NY, even with the housing slowdown. There is no space to build, except up, in a place like NY. There is a big difference between the Good Times building and the Jefferson's building. Massive, publicly, but underfunded, housing project? Bad idea. Luxury high rises? Some people like them. It's a pricey way to live, but you can get a large, luxury apartment in the city with sweeping views.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well-known fact: If a building has a name like that and no windows, it's a strip club. I could look at that and tell you that's what it is.

No windows = strip club.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Taking notes.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Have you been to Harlem lately? Old Navy, A and P, all kinds of things you would think would never have opened in the area, but its cleaned up pretty nicely.

Draft saved Draft deleted