1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cable shows that are better than almost everything on the networks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still have never seen a single episode of Mad Men or Breaking Bad, but I'm guessing this could still be a pretty long list...

White Collar
    Monk
    Psych
    The Closer
    Burn Notice
    Californication
    Weeds
    Nurse Jackie
    Dexter
    Curb Your Enthusiasm

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sunny in Philadelphia
    Rescue Me
    Pretty much anything on FX.

3. Mizzougrad96

I stopped watching Rescue Me shortly after his son died in the bike accident. I loved the show. It was probably my favorite show at the time, but that episode really fucked me up. I have a close relative who died in a similar way and I have two little kids, so that was something I didn't need to see, not that they did anything wrong.

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I actually think the overall quality of network TV programming has taken a tremendous upswing in the past five or so years, due in large part to attempts to compete with edgier cable-fare. That being said:

ITA concerning Sunny in Philadelphia, Psych, and Burn Notice. I have a general love for HBO programming as well, but I feel like that doesn't count for me, as I lack premium cable and never get to see its shows until they hit DVD.

5. JackReacher

I wouldn't let one episode like that run you away from a great show. You're missing out.

6. Mizzougrad96

I don't doubt it, but I don't know if there's ever been a single episode of a show that fucked me up the way that one did...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get what he is saying, though. At some point, you just heap so much disturbing shit onto the pile that it can be tough to watch. (Though I can't wait to see how they deal with the cliffhanger from this past season.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Mizzougrad96

I can handle dark. I actually like dark. But watching kids get killed and I'm out... I don't watch SVU anymore either and am very careful about watching some episodes of Criminal Minds...

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Breaking Bad was/is outstanding, but damn, its season finale last year was a major comedown.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Sons of Anarchy and absolutely, Mad Men

11. Mizzougrad96

I don't know if anyone here is watching White Collar, but it's a pretty slick show.

Tiffani Amber-Thiessen is in it, in a very small role.

12. JackReacher

Good call on Criminal Minds. The episode from a couple of weeks ago was pretty effed up.

Kidnapped girl 1: What do they want with us?
    Kidnapped girl 2: Our babies.
    Kidnapped girl 1: But I'm not pregnant.
    Kidnapped girl 2: You will be.

Oy.

Draft saved Draft deleted