1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cable or Satellite

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jun 13, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

I'd be interested to know the quality and the selection they offer to you.

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I love, love, love DirecTV. Unfortunately, I can't have it where I live right now & I'm stuck with cable. As soon as I'm able to, cable will be gone & I'll be back with DirecTV.

And yes, rabbit ears would be your cheapest option.

3. I've had DirecTV for three years, and I can't imagine ever going back to cable.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If you get decent service from your cable company, don't leave them. DirecTV comes with problems, too. It's six of one and half-dozen of the other.

5. boots

boots New Member

Right now, I'm tired of them going up on my bill. It seems like every 9 months, there's an added charge for some bullshit.
    THE OTHER night, I'd swear every channel was an infomercial going full tilt.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Anyone with the option to go to FiOS and decides to choose either satellite or cable is downright crazy.

7. boots

boots New Member

FIOS, is that the new Verizon fiber optics? Tell me more.

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes. It is the Fiber Optic Systems. You can find out more from their website. My experience with it says that it is the best thing out there with room to grow.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Pastor -- you must have read my mind. I just signed up for FIOS phone, TV and internet for the new house today. 4 TVs, inlcuding one HD, a DVR, unlimited local and long distance, phone and wireless internet for $150/mo. That's less than I pay now just for cable (2 TVs) and internet (not wireless), and I'm getting more stations.

10. onearmedviolinist

onearmedviolinist New Member

I've had FIOS for about two months, and it's fantastic. The sound/picture quality is oustanding. The one downfall right now is it doesn't carry any of the out-of-town sports packages (such as MLB Extra Innings), but my installer told me they will have the NFL Sunday Ticket next season (not sure if he was blowing smoke or what).
    Nonetheless, FIOS is excellent. If you can't get DirecTV, but FIOS is available, I would go that route. I couldn't wait to call Comcast and tell them to screw off.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Or do what I did with Comcast. When I moved in March, I called them a few weeks prior and told them give me a reason not to switch to a dish.
    Got $99 a month for high-speed, digital cable with HBO/Starz/Encore, 3 digital boxes and 2 HD DVRs.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

FIOS is available in too few places right now to be a viable option for most here. It's just frustrating for most of us to even look at it for now.

Draft saved Draft deleted