1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CA legislator proposes ban on spanking children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I also well remember the spoon. But at least I didn't live in Eddie Murphy's house, where the boomerang shoe was the maternal disciplinary tool of choice:

"Why'd you eat the ice cream off the floor?"

"But I..."

*wh-wh-wh-WHACK!!*

**cue the theme from "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"**

:-\

2. "Dear God, I hate her. I hope she gets hit by a truck ... and dies."

"Shut up, before I come in there and give you something to cry about."

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"Yeah, then you be a 7-year-old walkin-the-dog no-house motherfucker." :D

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The fear of my mother's wooden spoon was worse than the wooden spoon itself. Didn't matter who started the fight in the back seat of the station wagon on long trips, it could come at any time.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My stepbrother and I lived in fear of the wooden spoon, until we realized that by flexing our buttocks at the moment of impact we could break that son of a bitch.

I've never seen my mom so pissed.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I really have to laugh at this school of thought ... if you spank a 3-year-old, it's because you're unable to deal with them in a mature manner. Yeah. That's what I was thinking.

"I don't know what to dooooo ... I'm going to ... uh ... uh ... uh ... I'll SPANK their ass!"

No. If I believed my 3-year-old needed a spanking, it was behavior with a purpose ... to adjust their behavior.

P.S. Just because one has a child turn out OK doesn't necessarily mean they're responsible for it. The young person just may have been pre-disposed to be a good person.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I keed, I keed. Just that it cried out for a connection to the "Delirious" threadjack. ;D

On a serious note, Junkie's post speaks for me too. Well done.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Too young to be spanked? No. Too young to be beaten? Absolutely. If people don't have the common sense to differentiate between the two ... sigh.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Perfect post.

10. Montezuma's Revenge

Oh, that's just plain horseshit. Your way ain't the only way.

And I say that as someone who has never laid a hand on my child. Doubt I ever will. So I don't have an itchy trigger finger. But that's a tool that's always at my disposal, if necessary.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Amen.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

3 and under? So they get a pass on the "Terrible 2's," like it's some kind of invisible restraining order. "Ooooooh, you are so mine in a year and a half when you turn four!"

Draft saved Draft deleted