1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CA legislator proposes ban on spanking children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 21, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://www.kcra.com/news/10788630/detail.html?subid=22100408&qs=1;bp=t

Lawmaker Proposes No-Spanking Law
    Sponsor Says Measure Would Help Young Children

A segment of the story...

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

HOw about a law that makes it Child Abuse to serve pre teen children Fruit Loops for breakfast. Is there anything that lawmakers don;t know better than everyone else?

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Recalling the previous child-spanking thread here from a year or so ago, I'm certain that this will not end well.

Edit: Found it. Enjoy.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/29378/

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This might end well if people agree that 3 and under is too young to be spanked.
    But enforcement of this law, if it passes, is going to be brutal to enforce. You're out in public with your two or three year old and the child is acting up and refusing to walk with you. You give the child a gentle swat on the seat of the pants to get him/her moving and get arrested for breaking the law.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'll say this for Lieber. There's NOBODY who can understand and appreciate this issue quite like a legislator whose parenting experience consists solely of feeding her cat.

6. My parents spanked me and I grew up to be a journalist.

Yeah maybe they should outlaw it.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Except, I don't agree. And really, is it the state's job to raise our kids? Yes, there are a LOT of bad parents out there. But that bill sucks, and that lawmakers is a dimwitted fountain of shit.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

As long as your monkey is of legal age, I think you'll be OK, junkie.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

There already are (and should be) laws against child abuse, inflicting serious injuries on kids. I'm not sure we need to go further than that.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This lady clearly needs to be put in time out.

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I totally agree. Spanking is an effective tool for discipline if done correctly with out belts, whips or chains. A simple swat on the back side is a very good deterrent to poor behavior.

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Did anyone who wasn't abused as a child ever actually get hit with a belt by their dad?

I know I never did. Oh, I heard all about this belt and I was scared to death of it, but I never actually saw the thing.

I'm so tired of people trying to tell other people how to raise kids. Certainly, there are some parents who need advice, and there are others who shouldn't be raising ferets, much less kids. But attempting to pass a law to outlaw spanking is an insult to every responsible, loving parent who uses spanking to discipline their kids (and yead, you can be loving and responsible and still spank your child).

Draft saved Draft deleted