1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

C3PO, why?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, May 31, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I agree that the original movies have not aged well. The continued appreciation for them is definitely based on nostalgia rather than craftsmanship.
    But that doesn't change the fact that the more recent movies were terrible.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There is a difference between movies being great for their time and movies that suck for all time.

Ok, the entire prequel trilogy doesn't suck, but the acting and dialogue were even worse than the original trilogy, which is saying something. Luke is whiny, but Anakin somehow compares favorably? Seriously, schiez?

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Obi-Wan was whinier than Anakin in Attack of the Clones. He couldn't stop bitching out the kid, even embarrassing him in front of everyone more than once. Some of Obi-Wan's early dialogue in Revenge of the Sith presented a scared rookie, not a veteran of many battles. Meant to be humorous, it fell flat.

AOTC set up questions that never paid off. Its love dialogue has finally been "bested" by Twilight for the title of "Worst Ever," but it's absolutely cringe-worthy. Just a poorly written film, all the way around. The worst of the six.

Phantom Menace did a very good job setting up a new storyline in a decidedly different universe. The idea that a trade dispute would cripple their high-and-mighty Space Congress was a good way to present a society that isn't used to dealing with trouble of any kind. The way the Jedi carry themselves in all three movies displays an arrogance that was ripe to be exploited by a clever enemy.

The prequels confused a lot of people who thought we'd get "Three movies of Vader kicking ASS!!!!!" I was one of those who always thought the Emperor took over just because he had the bigger army. It was a pleasant surprise to see that he took over just because he was smarter than everyone else, and more devious than his opponents could have imagined until it was too late.

If we were being honest, we'd regard much of the dime-store philosophy that passed for "The FORCE!" in the old films as utter tripe. Explaining it with midichlorians was a horrendous mistake as well.

It's really a series of six flawed movies, with the older ones being more quotable, and the newer ones aspiring to be deeper.

And C-3PO (let's have some love for the hyphen, please) being utterly extraneous in every scene he's in. Except when he's translating.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Anakin going into the Jedi temple and wiping out all of the kids makes him 1,000,000 times more useful than Luke Skywalker.

Watch the movies with the volume turned off and Anakin is a freaking badass. The dialogue was dreadful, however, and Lucas spent too much time making both characters complain about their misfortunes.

Anakin is the character Luke Skywalker tried to be before he decided instead to pout and whine.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I have to go check my collection to see which version of that card I have.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!"

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Between Double Down and Bubbler, I realize just how inadequate my own writing is.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You and me both.

That was brilliance on pop culture once again.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Her real name was Sandy.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Amen, brother. And unfortunately, Mrs. Coco's already got everything planned to see Twilight No. 3 later this month.

I'm hoping some wolf boys kick some vampire ass, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll take the bad acting and dialogue of Anakin in the prequels over the pouty mumblings of sparkly vampire boy any day.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Webby? Oh shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted