1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

C-J's Eric Crawford: Inside sportswriting: The view from press row

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Feb 8, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He used a video filmed at a level that shows he is sitting. He can't see over a cheerleader's head?

I understand that there are times he is sitting and the cheerleaders are in front of him blocking his view. he should film at the 9:25 mark to illustrate his point.

Sure, it's difficult at times from that spot. But filming the final 12 seconds while sitting down doesn't help make his point. I think he could stand up for that play to get a better angle. Other times, maybe not.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

He was responding to an email he received from a reader. He opted to respond in a blog, which allowed him to reach many more readers, including those who might have had similar questions/concerns but didn't take the time to write him.

I've done the same several times when asked by readers, though in a different forum than my blog. Most readers probably don't care about how the sausage is made and many will foolishly view any explanation as a complaint about the job.

However, if you can educate even a handful of readers so they understand that sometimes our performance is negatively affected by outside factors that's seems like a good thing to do.

Now if Eric could remember it is FURTHER and not FARTHER I'd be happy. :)

3. An addendum to this, a couple of media members sitting along the baseline that game were accosted by fans sitting behind them when one of the writers stood up in an effort to watch the final seconds. The fans later felt obligated to throw dry chewing tobacco at them before exiting. It is great to be a Florida Gator, apparently.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Jesus Christ, it's a blog entry. I think we're analyzing this shit a little too much.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The blog entry is just an excuse for us to talk about the benefits and drawbacks of press seating.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, if it's for us, all the better then.

I remember years ago being leaned on Duke students sitting right behind the press table, pushing on me, yelling in my ear, asking if they can sit in the empty seat next to me.

It was actually kind of fun.

7. zonazonazona

zonazonazona New Member

See, I don't think i took this the same was as you. You wasn't writing about the inconvenience. He was writing about "how best to do his job," and explaining, to some degree, how the concepts of fandom and covering sports live as a journalist have changed. This is one of those instances. I just took it as him explaining that the more they squeeze the press away from the floor, into the corners, behind the blue-hairs who pay big bucks, the less likely he is to get the same kind of detail he might have gotten in years past... I didn't read this as him stating the "inconvenience."

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Understood.

9. PaulS

PaulS Member

Being court-side is less important than an unobstructed view. We are there, in part, to represent those who can't be at the game or can't afford a ticket. If schools want to make a bunch of money selling court-side seats - that's great. Media members should be seated where they can see the game.

10. I read the comments on his blog entry and was struck by the reasonableness of them. No one blasted him for whining, etc. (which he didn't do). Smart readers in L-ville? Maybe so.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

From the entry...

Also, this may be a bit hard to believe, but you can actually put a video camera down and let it record without actually holding it. Who knew?

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I had close to the same seat at Rupp and, frankly, I enjoyed the view.

The last time I went there, the team I covered hit a game-winning shot to beat UK in the closing seconds. I stood to watch the play. One notable thing is I don't think the cheerleaders are supposed to be allowed to stand when the ball's in play.

EDIT TO ADD: I realize that's not Rupp in his video clip. I'm just saying UK puts the visiting media in exactly the same spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted