1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

C.C. Sabathia: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Martinez was top 5 in Cy Young only twice. Most of his career was during pre-juiced players/balls and his career ERA is 3.70. Sabathia
    is 3.69. Sabathia won a Cy Young and finished top 5 in 4 other seasons. Sabathia career ERA plus 117, Martinez 106. Strikeouts per
    9 innings Sabathia 7.7 Martinez 4.8.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He's managing to pad out his counting stats, which is way better than I thought he'd do, since he looked washed up a few years ago. He's also now strictly a 5 to 6 inning a start pitcher, so, I'm not sure how much value it adds to his case. If you thought he was a HoF pitcher in 2015, you probably still think he is today, but I don't know if two to three years of being late-career Jamie Moyer adds much to his candidacy.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So he’s better than Dennis and on par with Pettitte, TJ, Mussina and Kaat?

4. cjericho

Wouldn't say he's just padding his counting stats. Maybe it's semantics but padding his counting stats would be adding some wins and strikeouts and not really pitching effectively. He has a 3.32 ERA a 1.28 WHIP and 106 K in 119 1/3 innings. At their peaks, Sabathia definitely was better than Moyer.

5. cjericho

Agree with Della's ranking, Mussina, Sabathia, Pettitte, Kaat, John, Martinez.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Where do Dave Stieb, Kevin Brown, Hershiser & Cone fall?

7. cjericho

Much as I remember him coming to the Yankees and rapidly declining, Brown probably deserved more consideration than he got.

8. heyabbott

On memory only, I think of Hersheiser as better than Sabathia. Cone Pettitte and Mussina seem fairly equal to each other and Sabathia. Brown is a notch below. Steib about at Brown’s level

I still think TJ deserves HOF

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Steib is criminally underrated and better than Jack Morris.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. cjericho

Brown 3.28 ERA 68 WAR. Hershiser 3.48 56.3.

11. heyabbott

Not to go off on a tangent but who is the replacement pitcher that everyone is measured against? Who has a zero WAR that played long enough to be the point on the scale to be measured against?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Si
    Since you don’t understand WAR just go with ERA. Or are you a winners win guy?

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted