1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BYU's leading rebounder Brandon Davies kicked off team for violating Honor Code

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sex with his girlfriend, according to the Salt Lake Trib.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/51348870-88/davies-byu-code-honor.html.csp

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

TTIUWP.

I do find it interesting that the other big story of the day is the SI/CBS story on background checks of players on top 25 football teams. Seven percent had criminal records. Figure it's even higher for lesser schools that take chances on players and also take into account that juvenile weren't accessed.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So what appears to be a good kid with no prior trouble gets kicked off the team, humiliated nationally, has his future now thrown in doubt, all because he "admits" that he had perfectly legal and consensual sex with his girlfriend.

Boy the publicity from this should do wonders for BYU's future recruiting.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Man, I'd hate to be the one chasing that story.

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Bottom line -- kid signed the NLI, took the full ride, signed the Honor Code. Deal with it. Don't have to agree with it, but deal with it.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Crash Davis would have told him never mess with a streak.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Some of the posts here are cracking me up. Are people really this unfamiliar with BYU and the LDS church?

Yeah... it's kind of restrictive. I don't think too many athletes who are drawn to BYU are thinking about all the ass they'll get in Provo.

I kind of admire what BYU did here. They decided their code was more important than a shot at a national championship. I sure as hell never would have gone there, but I'm not Mormon. It's nice to see a school decide that athletic success isn't its most important mission.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Meanwhile, Cougars getting spanked by 16 at home by New Mexico; Jimmer 2-for-9.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just a coincidence that the last two guys kicked off BYU teams for having sex were black, right?

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oh, and we're off.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The white guys get married.

12. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

No, NOW we're off.

Draft saved Draft deleted