1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BYU's leading rebounder Brandon Davies kicked off team for violating Honor Code

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 2, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6172760

He was also the third-leading scorer. What a big blow to a team with probably the nation's best player. However, the school's Honor Code is being ridiculed for being too strict. Here it is:

• Be honest
    • Live a chaste and virtuous life
    • Obey the law and all campus policies
    • Use clean language
    • Respect others
    • Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse
    • Participate regularly in church services
    • Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
    • Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

Yes, most make sense. But not growing a beard or drinking an Arnold Palmer? In today's college athletics, nobody will win with these kind of standards. Just look at Calipari or Gene Chizik. What say you?

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What does the Mormons' alien-from-outer-space angel have against coffee?

3. mb

mb Active Member

Too strict?

Seems there's an easy way to get around that -- don't go to the school.

4. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

This is a huge blow to BYU's chances for a deep run. For those who think they are a one-deminsional outside shooting team with Jimmer, they are even more so without Davies. He was becoming a pretty good inside presence and could run the floor pretty well.

I guess good for them for hurting their chances at a top seed and NCAA glory by sticking up for their values. More than likely he got the boot for one of two things or both: sex and beer.

5. bartlett4a

bartlett4a New Member

So this kid could have gotten kicked out of school for going to Starbucks? Jesus.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

We have a winner. Did they say what he did?

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Technically, it's "Brigham." (Sorry, I had to, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.)

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Exactly.

I may find Mormons to be rather absurd but if those are the rules they set about then those are the rules you have to follow.

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

No

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's not like this was just sprung on him. I'm pretty sure they go over this with their students in advance and the kids know what they're getting into. In fact, I'd guess the school stresses that pretty hard. So it's not like he can say, "Really? Coffee's against the rules? I had no idea."

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I'm guessing no one shows up to BYU the first day of class without realizing all that going there entails.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So how did Jim McMahon last 4 years under this Code?

Draft saved Draft deleted