1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BYU player performs his own method of birth control

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 13, 2015.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In game against Boise State. And since BYU is an independent, and not subject to conference oversight, he probably won't even be suspended. BYU has become one very dirty team under Bronco Mendenhall. Their "freshman" QB is the same age as Jameis Winston. Why anyone continues to play a team of 24-to-26-year olds is beyond me.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/byus-at-it-again-1730346756

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That ship sailed when 46-year-old Chris Weinke won the Heisman.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not defending Bronco Mendenhall but if you think BYU playing dirty is a recent phenomenon, you haven't been paying attention for the last, oh, 50 years or so...

LongTimeListener likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nobody gave a crud about this stuff when BYU nosedived after Edwards retired. Still - I'm curious how the freshman could be 22. I thought missions were two years.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A lot of athletes are 19 when they graduate HS these days. Two-year mission, redshirt year and you're a 22-year-old freshman.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Some guys also go on missions after they start college too.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Kai Nacau wonders what the big deal is.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Weinke was one of 125.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When Utah smoked Alabama in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago, their best player was "sophomore" defensive end Paul Kruger, who was six months short of turning 23 years old.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, the older players and reports of dirty play is nothing new with BYU. With the former, is it what it is, and there's nothing illegal going on. I went to school at a conference rival in the 1990s and I would read stories about them taking cheap shots and a couple of times there were opponents' accusations of some of their players dropping the N-word.

Draft saved Draft deleted