1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BYU independent for football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

BYU just inked a home-and-home football deal with Texas for 2013 (Provo)-2014 (Austin).

This is in addition to a game that was already on the schedule for 2011 at Texas.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5479362

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Which lends credence to the BYU going independent story. No way Texas agrees to play a game in Provo that will then be on some goofy channel called The mtn. that may or may not even be on the Austin/Houston/San Antonio cable lineup.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

But they probably have Vs. or CBS College Sports or even CBS, one of which is what that game would be on. Texas played at Wyoming last year. I don't think the TV deal would be something that would keep them from doing what amounts to be a two for one with BYU. The mtn. needs to be more widely distributed, but it means nearly every game of every team is on TV, as opposed to maybe a game or two on ESPN, which believe it or not has helped in the conference's growth. And while it doesn't match financially with the BCS conferences it is the best of the non BCS leauges and far above what ESPN tried to give them last time out. Funny thing about BYU and its discontent with the TV deal is it was their freaking idea.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Texas has played at Central Florida and Wyoming the past two years. I wouldn't put too much into that home-and-home.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It used to be a pretty entertaining conference at least - those 51-44 Fresno State - San Jose State barnburners on late Saturday nights. Once they lost what they had of the LA market in football (Long Beach and Fullerton) it really faltered. There was a time when San Jose State was the best college football program in Northern California.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

A very good source on this has told me there will be an announcement on all this after the lawyers finish up on Monday (or Tuesday if they're slow)

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Can you give a us a hint what the announcement will be?

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ah, yes ... around the time I was there. I don't think there's enough server space to detail everything, but to summarize: NCAA changed rules on juco transfers, there was a stretch in the mid-90s when they had for different head coaches in four years, another revolving door in the president's office, Chuck Bell's penny-pinching, Fitz Hill's social agenda and inattention to APRs. Dick Tomey seemed to have the ship righted, but then there was the 1-2 punch of the economy and CSU's wacky finances.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Question: If one is not a television sports executive, does anyone really care in which conference a football factory is located, especially the smaller and medium-sized factories? They don't even have much of a carbon footprint.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Michael, to your point, there may be schools crunching the numbers and saying that if we're not part of a BCS conference, it's not worth being part of a conference at all. At least if you make the New Orleans Bowl, you don't have to split your booty 10 ways. And Hawaii, if it gets the right schedule, could strike a Tuesdays-on-ESPN2 deal as well as any conference.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

A total threadjack, but my alma mater announced it's playing Hawaii in the 4 a.m. game during ESPN's 24-hour college basketball marathon this year and I'm rather excited about this.

Draft saved Draft deleted