1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Byron Nelson, dead at 94

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Idaho, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Go with:

94-YEAR-OLD MAN DIES

Actually, unless he's a local story, or you work for the Hilton Head Island paper, this isn't a huge story. It reminds me of the 1A headline I saw in the rack for our local rag which read "Swimming Lessons Can Prevent Drowning" I decided to pocket the $0.50 I was planning to spend on the paper.

2. joe

joe Active Member

No Hogan?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's a tough one.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

RIP Lord Byron. I agree on the Tiger Woods item from Evil. It's good that Byron should hold a mark such as the 11 consecutive wins. All class.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Disagree. We had it on our sports cover and our city has no connection to Byron Nelson at all.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

If you don't think Byron Nelson's death is a "huge story" and news of it equates to a blurb about swimming lessons, you're either way too cynical to live or way too stupid.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, the man said Erin Andrews repulsed him; that's what we're working with. And I agree that I would put Hogan, not Nelson or Snead or Jones, on the golf Rushmore.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I didn't say she was repulsive. I said she was annoying.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It was a tough call for me, especially since Jack and Tiger have to be on there. You could also make a strong case for Bobby Jones. And Palmer has to be there, too, because he really made golf a mainstream sport.

Nelson was dominant in his time and he walked away at his prime, just like Jim Brown. Hogan's comeback from the near-fatal car crash is amazing. It really would be a toss up for me, but Nelson, at least to me, has been more revered by fans and golfers. That weighed a lot in my mind.

10. A Mount Rushmore of Golf:

Tiger, Jones, Nicklaus and Nelson ...

Palmer is easily the most popular golfer of the 20th century, but he is not among the top 5.
    No way.
    The man did wonders introducing golf to a televised audience, but his major career was over after Jack beat him in his own backyard.
    Palmer, who was 10 years old than Jack, won one major after 1962.
    He couldn't beat the Bear.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I think it is Palmer and not Nelson.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tiger's off and Hogan's on.

Hell, Ronald Reagan's not on the real Rushmore. Same diff.

Draft saved Draft deleted