1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Byron Nelson, dead at 94

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Idaho, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

From sportsline.com:
    Golf great Byron Nelson died today, at the age of 94. One of the best players of all time, Nelson won five major championships and amassed 18 victories in 1945, including 11 in a row.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If there's a Mount Rushmore of US golf, he'd be my fourth along with Woods, Palmer and Nicklaus.

RIP, Lord Byron.

3. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

RIP Lord Byron.

4. RIP, Byron Nelson.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Winning 11 tournaments in a row is unfathomable. And by all accounts I ever read, he was a classy man too.

RIP Byron.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Lord Byron, you have served the game of golf with the highest class ever attained.

Rest in Peace, dear sir. :(

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP.
    One of the greatest of all time and a true gentlemen.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

How big do you play this in your section. Huge on the front?

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I remember Byron Nelson doing commentary on ABC golf years ago. He kind of made things easy to understand - I don't know that it was extremely deep analysis but that wasn't the way things were done then and maybe it wouldn't have been helpful.

The class did come through on television.

10. The story I read staed he walked away from pro golf in 1946 to retire to his farm, a 673 acre spread.
    That's not a farm, it's Rhode Island!

He was in a class by himself.
    Holds the only (major golf) record that will survive the Tiger Woods era.

I think his wife, whom he's been married to a long time, is like 30 or 40 years his junior.

I love to live to be 94!

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd think this would be Page 1A in Dallas and probably Fort Worth.

Had the pleasure of meeting the man and his wife a couple times in his later years. Truly a gentleman.

His tournament won't be the same without him to greet the finishers as they come off of 18.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

RIP. He was one of the few people in sports who was just squeaky-clean and universally loved. I've never read one unkind word from or about Byron Nelson.

Draft saved Draft deleted