1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

byline strike?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It may have ended Tuesday, but Rush Limbaugh finally got around to it Wednesday:

Story #6: Who Cares? AP-Obama Writers on Byline Strike

RUSH: This is AP-Obama. Oh, have you seen this? This is hilarious. AP writers are on a byline strike. Do you know what that means? They're refusing to submit their bylines with their stories, and they think management is going to care about that. I think they want assurances they're not going to get canned or they want raises or that they're going to be protected in any reorganization. Can you imagine the audacity? Management is probably saying, "Fine. Our readers don't care who you are anyway. All they care is it says 'AP.' You want to keep your byline off the story, hell's bells, go for it! You're not pressuring us." What kind of egomaniac do you have to be to go on a byline strike? Do a real strike! Don't submit any stories. Think of how you would improve the country! What, Snerdley? What do you mean, it's because of me? Mmm-hmm. Mmm-hmm. Oh, that's right. That's right. That's right. Ha! I hadn't thought of that. I am the only one who does mention who writes these stories. I do credit the writers. Liz Sidoti or whoever they are, I happen to mention their names. Nedra Pickler. Ron Fournier. That's right! We made 'em famous here, and so now they think their names matter because of me! You're right, Snerdley. It's just another reason why I qualify as Man of the Year. I am now intimately involved in the way AP contract negotiations are taking place with disgruntled employees.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_121708/content/01125104.guest.html

I thought it was interesting that the drooling windbag apparently doesn't know this is a standard part of the contract dance, been around probably as long as Oxycontin has. Or chose to ignore that so he could fill two minutes with another bogus shot at people who actually do some footwork, unlike him.

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yeah, Rush=total douche. And it's been my experience with byline strikes that they do bug management, if only because it tells readers that something's amiss.

3. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

There are bylines on AP stories?
    Who knew?

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I did a personal byline strike once when I was 21. Got only 9 inches on a prep gamer, and told the desk man to take my byline off it.

The desk man did. And by SE's order, my byline was taken off each of my stories for the next two weeks, too.

Never tried that strategy again.

Draft saved Draft deleted