1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

byline strike?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Dec 14, 2008.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

OK, forget the analysis. Just put the complete AP byline on when it comes across, for cryin' out loud. Just do it.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's not entirely true, and in fact I've heard some non-guild members are participating too. Obviously where I am I'm going to have a better idea of what happens in the DC bureau, and from what I hear, it's been pretty noticeable. Hell the Christmas party last week was universally ignored by the reporters working there last week. Rumor has it you could count on one hand, with fingers to spare, the number of editorial staff who showed up for it. That was intentional, to go along with the byline strike.

3. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

They had a Christmas party??!! They should be so lucky---if my shop has one, I"m going to grab for every piece of food I can---hey if it's their money paying for it, I"m there.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The staff petitioned to cancel it. Honest to goodness.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Great post. Why all the self-loathing people? Our work isn't the reason the industry, generally, is struggling. What we do is important and does have value. But if we don't place a value on it, why should we expect anyone else to?

There is a reason for the byline strike: It's a three-day demonstration by the union workers at AP that tells management that a) our work has value, b) we're paying attention to the insulting proposals you're giving to our negotiators, and c) we're sticking together.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I support the AP writers who are striking right now, but I'm not really losing sleep trying to figure out whose byline should be over this slug that just came across:

BC-GLF--Tiger Talks, 1st Ld-Writethru,1060

Just sayin'. :D

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Looking at the wire, it seems several AP sports writers are not on board.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I saw Newberry's byline not long ago.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Quite a few bylines on the wire in the last hour: Iacobelli, Nadel, Rieken, Aron, Dubow, Kay, Fendrich, Cranston, Martel, Russo, et al.

(Mind you, I'm in no way trying to call people out for not participating. I have no idea what the circumstances are and am not judging any of these writers.)

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't get the point of a byline strike, to be honest.

I'm not trying to be snarky. I really don't get why they happen.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Speaking of AP, why the fuck does it take so long for AP Top 25 college basketball box scores to move? I had a few 9 p.m. east coast games to deal with tonight and it's getting pretty fucking close to deadline.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It ended Tuesday. That's why.

Draft saved Draft deleted