1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

byline strike?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Dec 14, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

What are they striking against?

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

At least they are fighting back. Haven't seen much of that. Kudos to you AP writers.

3. Good question.

Anyone?

4. Fredrick

Probably the planned layoffs.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

AP's planning layoffs?

6. Fredrick

Yes i believe 10 percent

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Probably full of shit. Just like every other post of yours.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

AP is planning layoffs. I haven't heard that the numbers are anywhere near as high as 10 percent, however.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

AP wants to cut staff by 10 percent, mostly through attrition though.

I also hear they're offering a super regressive healthcare package that makes no sense and wage freezes for the next three years. So in essence pay out more for everything while not getting paid anymore, and work harder while doing it. Sure, it's like any other paper, except financially AP is still making bank.

10. Fredrick

I believe it's 10 percent of the entire AP. What's your problem with me wicked? You don't believe this business is done? I'm trying to place blame where I feel it belongs.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Doesn't matter at all to readers, but AP has some fetish about bylines. I remember a game where a pitcher carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning. AP had a stringer on duty. The bureau called the staffer and he rushed in on his day off to write the story, even though he hadn't seen the game and was basically taking dictation from the stringer. The explanation was AP wanted a staff-bylined story if the game turned out to be a no-hitter.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bingo.

I believe there's also a "no OT" clause and a watered-down maternity leave plan in the new contract.

Draft saved Draft deleted