1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BYH help needed - stat! Please explain Laura Branigan & "Self Control"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 25, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I heard that song on the radio last night and wanted to look up the video on youtube.

Overtly sexual video, yet Branigan has this dorky, but very sexy persona. Oddly appealing. She has only two songs I know of, this and "Gloria", and she seems "uncool", but I am fascinated by her. I know she died several years ago. She had a spectacular singing voice, but got stuck with kind of goofball songs, so she never became a star.

What was her deal? Throw us your knowledge.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: BYH help needed - stat! Please explain Laura Brannigan & "Self Control"

She actually had more than just those songs. Solitaire was pretty big, as well as How Am I Supposed to Live Without You and Self Control. She really did have a strong, powerful voice that covered a lot of range. She was a top 40 icon throughout the 80s and everyone knew her songs, but no one thought of Laura Branigan as "my favorite artist." She was actually a pop machine, but has been kind of forgotten with time. Rent some movies from throughout the 80s, though, and you'll hear her songs on a bunch of soundtracks.

3. poindexter

Wow, look at this one

belt it while you shake those hips

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think it's time for Bubbler to dissect some more pop culture.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

She was smoking hot. She was the one girl in high school who was too cool even for the cheerleader/shitty-kitty set, and was dating 24 year old guys with motorcyles.
    I remembered she died. Can't remember the cause. Too bad. She'd still be hot.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Aneurysm

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

'dexter - come on over and join us on the Laura Brannigan discussion forum.

I've been a member for a few years:

http://laurabraniganonline.aimoo.com/

8. poindexter

Thanks for the heads up. The
    "Compare and contrast Laura and William C. Rhoden" thread's a hoot.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damnit sorry I missed this.

My favorite bits of Laura Branigan trivia: "Gloria" set the pre-Soundscan record, I believe, for most weeks on the Billboard Hot 100. It was on there close to a year.

She also sang the national anthem at the NHL All-Star Game at Nassau Coliseum in the early '80s and left every red-blooded male in the audience panting.

That Self-Control video was and is freaky. My favorite song of hers was Solitaire. And Hondo is right about something else: She was indeed smoking hot. Lousy--and sudden--way to go.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A bit zaftig, making her more appealing in my book. Heavily engineered voice, but her skill did come through, tho the material was Eurotrash lightweight. Shattered Glass was another hot song/video (you kinda had to look at all her stuff as song/video).

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

An absolute goddess. Actual curves with a girl-next-door face and persona -- wow. Simply wow.

If I remember right from her obituary, her husband died of a heart attack in his 40s and she led a fairly depressing life afterward -- almost reclusive.

Dying of an aneurysm at 47. No way for anyone to go.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'd never seen that video before, but if I'm going to watch "Eyes Wide Shut" again I might as well do it with Laura Brannigan as opposed to Tom and Nicole.

Draft saved Draft deleted