1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BYH free to seek employment in Rhode Island

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Because I know of his fondness for the parent cmpany which just bailed out of the state ...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

tick... tick... tick...

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sometimes the devil you do know is worse than the devil that you don't.

Any chance this may be Belo running a shell company of sorts and looking to shut these papers down?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If it is indeed Belo, there is a precedent that says no. Belo bought the Denton Record-Chronicle in 1999 and it's still around.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Different down there, F_B, in that Denton is a lot further from Dallas than, say, Pawtucket is from Providence (6 miles from downtown to downtown maybe?).

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Here's a story from the Providence Journal (although it poses more questions than it answers).
    The Call union rep knows nothing? Shocked, shocked, shocked.
    I talked to a management source at my former employer a few days after Gatehouse bought the Mass. properties, and he said the R.I. properties were near a deal with a better company. Whether he was referring to this mysterious outfit, I don't know. The association with Conrad Black and Hollinger does raise red flags, however,
    I expect to see a negotiator for one of those papers tomorrow, and if there's anything else to report, I'll pass it along.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/BZ_JRC_RISALE27_01-27-07_7544SDM.1b1d1ac.html

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

There. Fixed. Again. ;D

Thanks, F_B

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nearly 10 hours and still no BYH on a JRC thread? This must be some kind of record here.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You and your nervous tics. ;D

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Saw him today, but right now he doesn't know much more than I do.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Given JRC's silence about this whole thing, I'm wondering if Jelenic might have a hand in this new shady enterprise.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A couple newer stories about the yet-to-be completed deal:
    http://www.pbn.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/125240
    http://www.projo.com/news/content/BZ_PAPERS_FOLO31_01-31-07_EA46E5D.d5b090.html

Apparently one of the outfits connected to the buyer owns The Newport (Vt.) Daily Express.

Draft saved Draft deleted