1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bye, bye stubble: Shaving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Apr 6, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

after 37 years as a blades man, neurological problems started making it more and more difficult to me. i had briefly tried an electric early in my shavinas in g areer but found it was never close enough and irritated the hell out of my neck.

but this past chankuah/christmas, mrs. shockey bought me perhaps the best, most useful gift she ever our 25 years together: an electric remington. wow, what a great shave; as close as the blades with nary any irritation (the lowest area around the adam's apple can't help but be left just a teeny-bit sore, but for only a while.

my question for experienced electric men: how long will the three blade areas be good for? i shave every other day and it's still going strong three months later. can the top be replaced or do you just buy a new razor whenever it ceases to do its job? ??? ??? ???

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I go for the Mach 3 Turbo and Gillette Gel, in the shower, sans mirror.

I should also point out that I only need to shave twice a week, so a can of gel lasts me at least a year (and I always wind up using too much).

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Twice a week? Holy crap... I've had to shave daily since I was in the seventh grade.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My facial hair flourishes in the white trash zones: the neck beard, and the corners of my upper lip.

Once, a couple years ago, I decided to not shave the area immediately under my lower lip in hopes of growing some sort of soul patch. After about three weeks it was finally long enough to grab. Needless to say, it was my first and last attempt at facial hair.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I shave once a week with a Mach 3 in the shower.

I fucking hate shaving.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Gillette five blade something. When we were in Boston, we stayed with some of her friends. The husband was an engineer at Gillette and gifted me with about three hundred dollars worth of blades.

I don't have a beard, chin pubes instead, and I shave, maybe, twice a week. Despite being very hairy every where else, I don't tend to grow a lot of facial hair.

As I can't stand to shave, that works out pretty well for me.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Schick Quattro after the shower, every other day. Only tricky thing is that I have moles just above my upper lip and just in front of my ear that bleed like hell if I nick one or the other.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Mach 3 and Edge Gel. Hydro 5 is pretty good, but I like the weight of the Mach 3 better.
    I've used the Nivea 3 (shampoo, bodywash and shaving cream) - it's okay, but it's not as good as Edge.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Taking care of a beard!?! I get the feeling you must trim your beard more often than I do mine.

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Your goatee works like magic? Ladies gotta love that. :)

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I have other people tell me I'm nuts, but I think the Mach 3 Turbo shaves better than the Fusion.

I used the Mach 3 for years (Gillette's plan to send every man when they turn 18 years old a free razor is a fantastic business plan, btw), then I got a free Fusion at a dirt track race.The thing sucks. Something about adding that fourth blade made me hate it. Three blades must be my limit.

I'm going to be pissed when they phase out the Mach 3, which can't be too far in the future.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Schick slim twin disposables. I like the little plastic thingy that easily pushes all the hair pieces out from between the blades. I also like that the blades are never too sharp but stay relatively sharp for a few weeks. As I get a lot of ingrown hairs if I shave too close, it's useful to not have something that will slice through anything willy-nilly.

Draft saved Draft deleted