1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bye, bye stubble: Shaving

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Well, my electric razor died about two weeks ago, so I guess I'm in the market for a new razor.

What do you use? Electric or disposable? What brands are tried and true for durability? Did you find that buying a less-expensive model worked for you better than one that was price higher?

Thanks for all of your help.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Actually, I don't have a very thick beard at all, but I get a nice shave from a good, multi-blade disposable and Trader Joe's shaving cream.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Electric. I have sensitive skin in my neck area. I believe it's a Norelco, very good shaver. I also have a Wahl razor for my goatee, which I have had for about 4 years and works like magic.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I shaved today with my usual cheap Bic razor, and it turned out pretty well despite not having any shaving cream.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Soap and a Quartro, in the shower without a mirror. Never have a problem actually...just go on feel.
    I haven't used an electric since high school (15 years+)

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sounds like you're playing Clue.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I put an 8-horse-power kick start gasoline engine on an EpiLady.

Now, it's an EpiMan!

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Took a tip from a Patton Oswalt bit and started using a rusty tuna can lid.

Money saver!

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I use a mach 3 until I run out of the green chemical goop (Edge Gel) I have stocked up. After that its back to using Grandad's safety razor (which are cheaper and work better than the newfangled razors) and good ole shaving soap and a badger brush.

(I will keep the Mach 3 on hand for the travel kit)

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses the shaving soap and badger brush. I have my grandfather's brush (purchased in 1957, according to his writing on the box) and a Gillette Fat Boy safety razor.

I don't care for using the soap — it can drip too much for my liking — so I use Geo. Trumper shaving cream and Proraso pre-shave. You feel like a million bucks after that.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Quattro in the shower.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Quattro Titanium with the cheapo foamy shaving cream. And Nivia for Men aftershave balm.

Draft saved Draft deleted