1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bye, Bye Rudy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Let's give Guiliani credit for what he did prior to 9/11/01. The streets and subways are safer. The city's budget situation grew healthier. This isn't all about one day, or one part of a day, in his term.

More pinhead panic from the left. Too bad they aren't still thinking of Chappaquiddick every time Kennedy runs.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yes, 27 years ago, the last time Ted Kennedy ran for president, we all totally glossed over the Chappaquiddick issue, you hairy ignorant troll.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yanni,

If making streets safer and budgets healthier is your bottom line on how to determine how well a politician is doing, then, how are things in Iraq these days?

4. Patrick Dorismond's family would disagree.
    Cometo think of it, so would Giuliani's.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

See, there you go pigeon-holing again, Ace. So are you saying the economy and security at home isn't important?

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I meant that as in he's more blue blooded than blue collar. And while he's a religious conservative, he's not always conservative -- see his stances on illegal aliens for example.

7. Maybe he's more rightist than Daddy because he was an empty vessel that a bunch of crackpots filled up with a lot of nonsense.
    He's no more a cowboy than he is a particle physicist.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

The city's budget was not healthy at all when Rudy left office and it was not just because of 9/11. Bloomberg went on a cost cutting spree because Rudy left a bit of a mess.

Part of the Disney-fication of 42nd Street included massive tax breaks to all the big corporations that put new businesses/buildings in where the sleaze shops used to be.
    If you like the sterile, strip-mall environment of 42nd Street now, remember how much it cost the city in Rudy's tax giveaways.

And one other thing about Rudy post 9/11 performance -- and I've said repeatedly he at least showed a lot more leadership at that time than the Idiot in Chief did -- but he also tried to have the mayoral primaries and mayoral elections delayed so he cold extend his stay in office, implying that only he was capable of leading the city in the aftermath.

In other words, while showing his great leadership, he was also plotting his personal political gain from the 9/11 attacks.

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

There are certainly reasons not to support Giuliani, but the fact that his son doesn't like his latest wife is not one of them. Who cares what that kid likes and doesn't like in the overall scheme of things? It's a private issure that would have nothing to do with a campaign.

Did Ronald Reagan's divorce have any effect on his election? Did his estangement from Patti or Ron Jr. bother many voters? Did Clinton's private life alter his popularity?

As I said, I don't know if Giuliani is electable, or even if I like him, but his relationship (or lack thereof) with his son is immaterial.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Somebody from NYC help me out here, was the WTC operated by the Port Authority?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes the site is owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The security of the site has always been a joint venture of the PA police and NYPD.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm sure a lot of lefties on this board don't care that Russ Feingold got divorced for the second time a little less than two years ago. If he gets married a third time and his kids from the first marriage don't like her, would anyone really base their vote on that?

Draft saved Draft deleted