1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bye, Bye Rudy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/05/politics/main2535939.shtml

It doesn't look like Rudy Giuliani's two children will have a role in his presidential campaign. According to media reports, the GOP frontrunner's third marriage has alienated his son, Andrew, 21, and daughter, Caroline, 18, from their father.

Giuliani's 21-year-old son, Andrew, told The New York Times that he would be too busy working on his golf game to participate in his father's presidential campaign.

"There's obviously a little problem that exists between me and his wife," the younger Giuliani told the newspaper. "And we're trying to figure that out. But as of right now it's not working as well as we would like."

Giuliani's marriage to his third wife, Judith Nathan, followed his divorce from Donna Hanover, the mother of Andrew and Caroline.

In 2000, Giuliani announced during a live TV interview that he planned to divorce Hanover. She responded by publicly accusing Giuliani of adultery.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I really hope he doesn't get the nomination. What did he ever do besides stand on a pile of rubble and put on a show?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's so sad. They were so close when Rudy won the mayoral election in 1993.

[​IMG]

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Much like Hilary, Rudy won't win a Presidential election. He's far too polarizing.

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Here, here.

6. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I'm guessing neither of you lived in NYC during his time as mayor. If you did you'd know how incredibly stupid both comments are.

7. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

NYC experienced quite a renaissance during his stint as mayor. Most notably, homelessness was attacked, and the city became a lot cleaner, working hard to reverse its decades-long rep as being a dirty town. OTOH, people will argue that it's just not as interesting any more, and to an extent, they're right. It has become a lot more homogenous and milquetoast.

Sure, he became the face of NYC, the face of grief. He's played that tune very nicely in public speaking and such. Even with all the good, I don't think it's enough to warrant serious consideration as a presidential candidate.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good to know the rest of the country caught up with a story that was in the NY Times on Saturday and an interview with Andrew that was on Good Morning America weekend Sunday morning.

This, however, will, not mean bye, bye Rudy in the race to the primaries. There are a lot worse things the country has yet to learn about Rudy.
    Too many people see only his performance in the aftermath of 9/11 or they come to NYC and see the Disney-fication of 42nd Street and think he did a great job cleaning up the city.
    They don't know about all the dirt in Rudy's background.

9. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Yeah, this pales against his thoughts of ignoring the law and sitting for a third term.

He deserves credit for his strength leading post Sept. 11 but he has done nothing to warrant foreign policy approval. The wingers won't vote for a pro-choice, gay-rights advocate in his third marriage.

He'd do better in the general.

So, bye-bye Rudy.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He also was a tenacious DA. He got a hard on for getting organized crime out of the Fulton Fish Market, something that seemed impossible at the time, and likely had him taking on much of NYC's corrupt political establishment. I don't have a beef with people who are put off by his style, but to say all he ever did was stand on a pile of rubble and put up on a show, is either uninformed, or willfully ignores what he did as a DA and the stark difference between quality of life in NYC before he was mayor and while he was mayor.

EDIT: That comment also aggravated me a bit. That "show" he put on was one of the only reassuring things people saw on a daily basis for months. The guy was ubiquitous. We were openly wondering when he slept. He'd be at a funeral of a victim, then at a press conference with the fire chief, then at a baseball game trying to make people feel like it was OK to go on. Way to minimize the energy and leadership he showed at a time most people would have crumbled.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The best was when Rudy was banging his personal assistant, Christine something or other, and Donna got to watch it all unfold on the front pages.

Rudy has the ability to find good people to take on important jobs. I thought Kerik did a good job after 9/11, but what do I know? Force easily could've fallen apart. He wiped the house clean of most of Dinkins' lackeys. His record in social services is far from stellar -- where'd all those homeless folk go? -- but he did take on a lot of the Mobsters when he was in the U.S. Attorney's office.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

And then Donna got to stay home with the kids while he was taking his new "friend" Judi Nathan to official City functions.
    And then Donna got to hear Rudy's lawyers rip her to shreds during the divorce proccedings when she wanted too much money for child support and private school education for the kids.

Draft saved Draft deleted